Old 25-05-2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Recently planted tree question

I planted four cottonwood trees 10 days ago, and have been giving them
plenty of water.

Three look ok, one has lost its leaves. Is that likely to be a temporary
thing, or is this tree dying?

Thanks

Old 25-05-2008, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in message
On Sun, 25 May 2008 10:24:59 -0700, "Jack S" wrote:

I planted four cottonwood trees 10 days ago, and have been giving them
plenty of water.

Three look ok, one has lost its leaves. Is that likely to be a temporary
thing, or is this tree dying?

Thanks

Ten days doesn't seem very long for a transplanted tree to take hold.

Don't overwater!

Maybe our NG forester could weigh in?

Persephone

Could be transplant shock, root stock damage, etc, let them be for a while,
and water conservatively, to much is not a good thing. Then again, you
could have let the roots dry out on the last one, hard to tell without
knowing, or seeing, the details.

Old 26-05-2008, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...

Persephone wrote in message
On Sun, 25 May 2008 10:24:59 -0700, "Jack S" wrote:

I planted four cottonwood trees 10 days ago, and have been giving them
plenty of water.

Three look ok, one has lost its leaves. Is that likely to be a temporary
thing, or is this tree dying?

Thanks

Ten days doesn't seem very long for a transplanted tree to take hold.

Don't overwater!

Maybe our NG forester could weigh in?

Persephone

Could be transplant shock, root stock damage, etc, let them be for a
while, and water conservatively, to much is not a good thing. Then again,
you could have let the roots dry out on the last one, hard to tell without
knowing, or seeing, the details.

These trees are about 9 ft tall. I've been giving them 5 gals ever other
day, drip.

I'm in a semi arid area, and I've been told cottonwoods take lots of water.

Old 26-05-2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jack S" wrote in message
m...

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...

[...]

You may be over watering.

Old 26-05-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jack S" wrote:
I planted four cottonwood trees 10 days ago,
and have been giving them plenty of water.

Three look ok, one has lost its leaves. Is that likely to be a temporary
thing, or is this tree dying?

You don't say the size of these trees... were they transported in an
open vehicle? How were they transported to your planting area... if
only one lost all its leaves in so short a time it's probably from
wind damage during transport, that one tree was probably not as well
protected. Give it about a month and new leaves should appear, but
they will look stunted, next year's leaves should look normal. A deep
watering once a week is plenty, a light watering every two-three days
does more harm than good.

Yesterday I planted a Colorado spruce "Fat Albert", I've another to
plant today: http://i32.tinypic.com/23ht2r9.jpg

Old 26-05-2008, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jack S said:

"D. Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...

[...]

If you're in a "semi arid area", why on Earth would you plant cottonwoods,
knowing that they "take lots of water"?

--

Eggs

Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?
Old 28-05-2008, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 26, 10:39�am, Sheldon wrote:
"Jack S" wrote:
I planted four cottonwood trees 10 days ago,
and have been giving them plenty of water.

Three look ok, one has lost its leaves. Is that likely to be a temporary
thing, or is this tree dying?

You don't say the size of these trees... were they transported in an
open vehicle? �How were they transported to your planting area... if
only one lost all its leaves in so short a time it's probably from
wind damage during transport, that one tree was probably not as well
protected. �Give it about a month and new leaves should appear, but
they will look stunted, next year's leaves should look normal. �A deep
watering once a week is plenty, a light watering every two-three days
does more harm than good.

Yesterday I planted a Colorado spruce "Fat Albert", I've another to
plant today: �http://i32.tinypic.com/23ht2r9.jpg

Got my 2nd Colorado spruce planted today:
http://i31.tinypic.com/ayam3b.jpg

Old 28-05-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Jack S" wrote:
[...]

What's the point? As you always say, you'll be dead before it's grown.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 29-05-2008, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Widdle Wee Willy Billy wrote:
�Sheldon wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
"Jack S" wrote:
[...]

What's the point?

You, you pointy headed imbecile.

Only a self centered selfish low IQ billy douchebag would think people
post soley for you. Did you get this info in email from me... of
course not... you're garbage. In fact you're such low life garbage
you can't abide your own name, widdle wee willy.. billy, what a dumb
****ed up baby name.

Billy! G

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
Old 29-05-2008, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

?Sheldon wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
"Jack S" wrote:
[...]

When you don't expect an adult response, Shelly never fails;o)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars