Chinese Elm Suckers

Old 27-05-2007, 12:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Chinese Elm Suckers

A couple of years or so ago, I had 2 Chinese Elms cut down and the
stumps mulched as they were getting too much to control. Ever since then
there have been suckers popping up everywhere. I dig them up, and they
pop up again.
Anyone have any ideas on permanent control ? Anything I can paint or
spray on ? I can't be too vicious as the suckers are in garden beds with
valued shrubs & bulbs.

Thanks,
Old 27-05-2007, 07:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day david,

yes those root suckering types of trees a bit of a problem, maybe you
could hit the sucker growths with some tree poison? you could try neat
glypho' but it may not pack the right punch. you need something that
will kill the roots.

On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:35:57 +0930, David
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 30-05-2007, 08:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

David,
Not only do I have the suckers coming up 18 months after the tree was cut
down and several applications of neat Glypho and "Tree and Blackberry
Killer", but stupidly I had them mulch the tree - seeds and all. I then
spread the mulch around my garden and am still getting little Chinese Elm
Trees popping up all over the place.

I'll be watching the responses with interest :-)

Cheers,
Geoff

news

Old 30-05-2007, 09:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

I reckon you have found out why theyre called suckers.
And I can see why the subject is called Chinese Elm Suckers.
You are (grin!)
If youre a gardeners there so many "gotcha's"