Old 08-08-2004, 11:40 PM
news.utanet.at

Default Need Serissa help - yellow leaves, black tips

Hello friends,

Approx. 6 weeks ago, I bought a 20 years old Serissa.

Our problem: Since 1 week some leaves become completely yellow and fall off.
Some leaves - up to now less than 10 - get black tips.

How I took care so far:

Water: Every 2nd day as much as it drips out of the pan a little bit.

Fertilizer: Once a week Floragard Bonsai fertilizer (dosis as indicated 3 ml
for 2 l water, but not every 2nd day as indicated).

Position: Very bright with no direct sun, currently at around 26 degree C.

Cutting: Some days ago the first time. Had some new branches, looking OK.

Couldn't detect any insects or something similar.

Who can help me and my Serissa? Is expecially my method of watering and
fertilizing OK?

Best greetings and thanks in advance,
Manfred

P.S.: Can send photos on e-mail request, if helpful...

Old 09-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Need Serissa help - yellow leaves, black tips

Hello friends,

Approx. 6 weeks ago, I bought a 20 years old Serissa.

Our problem: Since 1 week some leaves become completely yellow

and fall off.
Some leaves - up to now less than 10 - get black tips.

Your Serissa is fine. The yellow leaves are normal for a Serissa
that has been moved from one place to another. I suggest you
simply remove the leaves with black tips. It's getting toward
late summer now, and tree leaves are getting old -- even
"evergreens."

How I took care so far:

Water: Every 2nd day as much as it drips out of the pan a

little bit.

It is best if you do NOT water on a set schedule. Water when the
soil feels dry, though from what I've read about Serissa since
becoming the owner of one they like lots of water. (I've not
been following my own advice, and have kept my little tree in a
saucer of water. HOWEVER, mine is outdoors in 95-degree
weather!)

Fertilizer: Once a week Floragard Bonsai fertilizer (dosis as

indicated 3 ml
for 2 l water, but not every 2nd day as indicated).

That is very sensible. A tablespoon per gallon of water weekly
is fine.

Position: Very bright with no direct sun, currently at around

26 degree C.

I assume it is indoors????? If you can keep it outdoors, it will
be happier. Bring it in when temperatures reach about 40F or
about 10 C. Serissa are much tougher than most books indicate as
far as temperatures go, and PROBABLY could take lower temps, but
no sense tempting fate. Be prepared to lose leaves when you move
it inside -- or outside again in the spring.

Cutting: Some days ago the first time. Had some new branches,

looking OK.

More indications that it is OK.

Couldn't detect any insects or something similar.

Who can help me and my Serissa? Is expecially my method of

watering and
fertilizing OK?

I don't think you NEED help. :-) You tree seems to be quite
healthy to me.

Best greetings and thanks in advance,
Manfred

P.S.: Can send photos on e-mail request, if helpful...

We don't take photos on the news group or mailing list, but we DO
have a gallery at www.internetbonsaiclub.org where you can post
pictures of your tree. You will have to register (free!!!) to
post a picture.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Wondering .
.. . this is the second newly-purchased Serissa in a couple of
weeks that has come with the claim to be "20 years old." Must be
standard sales pitch.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++