Old 27-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Geoff Hobson

Default [IBC] Leaves with black tips

What tree is it?
Geoff.----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Weller"
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 7:16 AM
Subject: [IBC] Leaves with black tips

Does anyone know what these black tips are a result of?

I haven't used any nutrients so its not any kind of nutirent burn...

maybe a
defficiency?

Also is it common to have quite a few holes appearing in leaves? Is this
from some kind of bugs eating them or does it happen naturally because I
haven't seen any mites or anything.

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Geoff Hobson

Old 28-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

A maple of any kind is not going to be a happy indoor plant. If you are in
the Northern Hemisphere it should be without leaves this time of year.
Even here in Florida some of the native maples are just beginning to leaf
out.
If you have been keeping it inside and it is still likely to freeze where you
live it may be too early to put it outdoors now, but it needs to be outside
ASAP.
As to what kind of winter protection you give it next year, that will depend
upon how far north you are and I will hope that someone from a more northern
area responds to that.
All you can do now is watch overwatering and give it as much light as
possible and keep it as cool as possible without freezing it.

In a message dated 2/27/2004 7:15:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

It is a Trident Maple and it is kept indoors mostly.
It is getting quite bushy and most of the leaves are a good green, healthy
color. But I also have a few that turn yellow and fall off, and a few that
get holes in them.
I'm not sure if the holes are just from when I first got it because I
haven't had it that long, and the yellowness is natural I think.

But just yesterday the very very tip of the middle part of the trident shape
on some leaves have turned dark black and curled up...

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 28-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Dave Weller

That doesn't really answer my question about black tips...
I know it should be outside, and I know it should be without its leaves.
It was bought for me about a week ago and the store owners obviously grew it
indoors.
I do put it outside during the day quite often, and while it is indoors I
keep the humidity elevated and give it artificial light. Other than the
black tips on the leaves it is doing well and growing a lot, getting very
bushy, which is what I'm aiming for.

Old 28-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 2/28/2004 3:15:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

That doesn't really answer my question about black tips...

A tough audience. OK, I think you are giving it more water than it
can use in the growing conditions you have.
What is you watering schedule?
What kind of soil is it in?
Was it purchased from a Bonsai Nursery nearby or mail order?

Old 28-02-2004, 10:24 PM
jklewis

That doesn't really answer my question about black tips...
I know it should be outside, and I know it should be without its leaves.
It was bought for me about a week ago and the store owners obviously grew it
indoors.
I do put it outside during the day quite often, and while it is indoors I
keep the humidity elevated and give it artificial light. Other than the
black tips on the leaves it is doing well and growing a lot, getting very
bushy, which is what I'm aiming for.

I really would not worry about it. In fact, as soon as you have weather that is OK for it to be outside, I'd dose it good with a balanced fertilizer, then I'd think of a complete defoliation and let the tree start over. Chances are good you won't have a
black tip problem.

The tree likely is unhappy at low light, low humidity, and being forced to have leaves when it shouldn't. It will take at least one calendar year for this tree to get its equilibrium back. Until then, I wouldn't be surprised at any kind of odd behaviour.

Jim Lewis - Tallahassee, FL

Old 29-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Nina Shishkoff

That doesn't really answer my question about black tips...
I know it should be outside, and I know it should be without its leaves.
It was bought for me about a week ago and the store owners obviously grew
it
indoors.

But probably in a greenhouse, where the tree had high light and high
relative humidity.

It's hard to know what's wrong with a tree being grown under radically
incorrect conditions. The best guess is that the black tips have
something to do with faulty transpiration. Your maple is getting low
light and low relative humidity, so the stomates aren't opening as much as
they should, and when they do, they'll experience dramatically high
transpiration levels.

There's nothing to do but wait for spring.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Nina Shishkoff

Are we talking about a Serissa? Because serissa leaves turn black due to some general biochemical reaction, not as a sign of any specific ailment.

If holes appear in the leaves of outdoor plants, all sorts of insects could be to blame. In late summer, the nocturnal asiatic beetle will chew leaves at night and vanish during the day. But indoors, not many things can cause holes in the leaves.

Tell us what plant you are talking about, and whether it is indoors or outdoors

Nina