Zucchini squash going bad.

Old 19-06-2009, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Zucchini squash going bad.

My green zucchini squash is turning yellow and soft on the blossom end
before it is even big enough to do anything with.

Any idea why and how to make it stop?

Old 19-06-2009, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"CanopyCo" wrote in message

My green zucchini squash is turning yellow and soft on the blossom end
before it is even big enough to do anything with.

Any idea why and how to make it stop?

Most likely its Blossom End Rot

http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com...lossom_end_rot

Old 19-06-2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"gunner" wrote:

"CanopyCo" wrote in message

My green zucchini squash is turning yellow and soft on the blossom end
before it is even big enough to do anything with.

Any idea why and how to make it stop?

Most likely its Blossom End Rot

http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com...lossom_end_rot

Gunner's suggestion seems right on. The only other observation I would
make is "how are your bees?" I often have this problem, for the first
couple of weeks, when my squash start to produce. In the past, someone
in the group has given me things to do or think about and by the time
I'm ready to do them, the bees have arrived, and the problem goes away.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 20-06-2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 19, 10:36*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com...ni_blossom_end...

Gunner's suggestion seems right on. The only other observation I would
make is "how are your bees?" I often have this problem, for the first
couple of weeks, when my squash start to produce. In the past, someone
in the group has given me things to do or think about and by the time
I'm ready to do them, the bees have arrived, and the problem goes away.
--

- Billy

There be no bees.
Not that I have seen anyway.
There once was a hive just next door, but they all died off for
unknown reasons.

Ill start treatment for blossom end rot right now, and see if that
helps.
I notice that calcium deficiency is part of that problem.
Should I put some calcium vitamin pills in the dirt around the plant?

Old 20-06-2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
CanopyCo wrote:

On Jun 19, 10:36*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

[...]

No bees. You're gonna have to get up close and personal with your zuchs.
Pull the petals off the male flowers and do what comes naturally with it
to the female flowers.

Old 20-06-2009, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"CanopyCo" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 10:36 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

[...]

If there aren't any bees your problem IS NOT blossom end rot. You female
flowers aren't getting pollinated. You're going to have to do it by hand.
See Billy's post.
Steve

Old 20-06-2009, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 20, 1:39*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

On Jun 19, 10:36 am, Billy wrote:

In article ,

"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Either there is a little sneak a bee activity, or someone else is
cutting in on there action.

;-)

I am harvesting good looking fruit, just that some of it is not making
it.
It does the end softening thing while still thumb sized.

Not all the fruit, just about 1 in 5.

Old 21-06-2009, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
CanopyCo wrote:

On Jun 20, 1:39*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

On Jun 19, 10:36 am, Billy wrote:

In article ,

"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

[...]

Bees aren't the only pollinators. If you don't want to get down with
your zukes, just wait. The bees will show up, eventually.

Old 21-06-2009, 12:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article 1fd649b2-ba86-46d4-8725-f61f7523d4e0
@s16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com, says...
On Jun 19, 10:36*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

My green zucchini squash is turning yellow and soft on the blossom end
before it is even big enough to do anything with.

Any idea why and how to make it stop?

Most likely its Blossom End Rot

http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com...ni_blossom_end....

Gunner's suggestion seems right on. The only other observation I would
make is "how are your bees?" I often have this problem, for the first
couple of weeks, when my squash start to produce. In the past, someone
in the group has given me things to do or think about and by the time
I'm ready to do them, the bees have arrived, and the problem goes away.
--

- Billy

There be no bees.
Not that I have seen anyway.
There once was a hive just next door, but they all died off for
unknown reasons.

Zone 5 here after a very cool spring, and our bees have been active
since it first got warm enough for them to move.

What do you have for flowers, grasses etc. in and around your garden?

Old 21-06-2009, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 21, 5:38*am, phorbin wrote:
In article 1fd649b2-ba86-46d4-8725-f61f7523d4e0
@s16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jun 19, 10:36*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

[...]

What do you have for flowers, grasses etc. in and around your garden?- Hide quoted text -

Standard Oklahoma flora and fauna.

A few miles of uninhabited oak forest 100 yards straight south, kind
of horseshoeing to cover south & west.

Arkansas river east of me, across a highway, past some businesses and
housing, about a quarter mile straight east as the crow flies.

Large (40 acre) pasture next land north of me that is Johnson grass.

Clover & Bermuda mostly in the yard.

Oil field polluted creak with willows next thing, just immediately
south of the garden.

Pecan & black walnut trees in the yard.

Squash is in a boat full of dirt and oak leaves right next to the
creek.
Next to that is onions in refrigerators turned on there side.
Goat and chicken pin next to that garden patch, and surrounding the
tomato patch.

Odds and ends flowers around the house.
Tiger Lilies mostly.

I sure miss my neighbors bees.

Old 21-06-2009, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"CanopyCo" wrote in message
On Jun 21, 5:38 am, phorbin wrote:
In article 1fd649b2-ba86-46d4-8725-f61f7523d4e0
@s16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jun 19, 10:36 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like it may be time to learn about beekeeping.
Steve

Old 21-06-2009, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"CanopyCo" wrote in message
On Jun 21, 5:38 am, phorbin wrote:
In article 1fd649b2-ba86-46d4-8725-f61f7523d4e0
@s16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jun 19, 10:36 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

"gunner" wrote:
"CanopyCo" wrote in message
.
..

[...]

Might take a look at
http://gardening.about.com/od/attrac...Bee_Plants.htm
and
http://www.dianeseeds.com/flowers/be...l-insects.html

I find bees buzzing the wisteria, and the sage long before the garden is
ready for them. Violets attract bees as well, and they have a long
flowering season (at least they do here). You really need a succession
of flowers to keep the bees in your garden.

Old 21-06-2009, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I let have about have the broccoli go to flowers it brings a lot of bee's.

Old 21-06-2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Aluckyguess" wrote:

I let have about have the broccoli go to flowers it brings a lot of bee's.

and butterflies, another pollinator.

Brassica oleracea Acephala Group - kale and collard greens - 500 BC
Brassica oleracea Alboglabra Group- Chinese broccoli
Brassica oleracea Botrytis Group - cauliflower, Romanesco broccoli
and broccoflower
Brassica oleracea Capitata Group - cabbage - 1100 AD
Brassica oleracea Gemmifera Group - brussels sprouts - 1750 AD
Brassica oleracea Gongylodes Group - kohlrabi
Brassica oleracea Italica Group - broccoli - late 1600 AD

Old 27-06-2009, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"CanopyCo" wrote in message

My green zucchini squash is turning yellow and soft on the blossom end
before it is even big enough to do anything with.

Any idea why and how to make it stop?

How has the heat and the watering been going? are you still seeing the
problem?