Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default When can I plant lily bulbs this spring (zone 5)?

I'm in zone 5 west of Chicago, and I have just received an order of
lily bulbs. When is the best time to plant them?

Thanks.

Stephen

Old 09-04-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

don't tease the Chicagoan, John. That's zone 5, growing season is 120 to
180 days long and it has major extremes of cold as well as heat (it's been
known to get as hot as 112oF). I'd say to have them check with their local
extension agent thru the agricultural department of the local college, and
see when the last frost is and plant them accordingly. Feet in the shade,
heads in the sun. In other words, east, south or west in the yard. and what
kinda lilies, Stephen? Oriental, trumpets, Asian? Orienpats? You can plant
them as soon as you can get your shovel into the ground to plant them three
times the depth of the size that they are. that's always the rule of thumb
with seeds or bulbs, tubers, rhizomes and such (not bearded iris or peony
roots, they like it shallow) but since Stephen is probably in a plains
area, I'd say around the end of April, depending on when the last freeze
is.....lilies are perennial so they can stand the cold.
madgardener whose own lilies are breaking ground at amazing speed as well,
but MINE are in raised beds! (much warmer than the ground is)
"John McGaw" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
I'm in zone 5 west of Chicago, and I have just received an order of
lily bulbs. When is the best time to plant them?

Thanks.

Stephen

If it means anything, my oriental lilies are up about a foot high right
now. I've always found that any time after the last expected frost is
appropriate since it takes some time for the deeply planted bulbs to make
their way to the surface.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 09-04-2006, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in zone 5 west of Chicago, and I have just received an order of
lily bulbs. When is the best time to plant them?

Thanks.

Stephen

Who did you buy the bulbs from?

Old 09-04-2006, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in zone 5 west of Chicago, and I have just received an order of
lily bulbs. When is the best time to plant them?

Thanks.

Stephen

Who did you buy the bulbs from?

That's a good question. Good companies usually send your bulbs and
planting stock at the correct time of year for planting in your zone. If
you ordered from a reliable company and they sent the bulbs accordingly,
AND your soil is warm and dry/friable enough to be worked, go ahead and
plant.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

last freeze is 3rd week in April up here in Milwaukee 90 miles north, near the lake.
but it looks like 60+ weather for next 10 days. Ingrid

"madgardener" wrote:

[...]
"John McGaw" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
I'm in zone 5 west of Chicago, and I have just received an order of
lily bulbs. When is the best time to plant them?

Thanks.

Stephen

If it means anything, my oriental lilies are up about a foot high right
now. I've always found that any time after the last expected frost is
appropriate since it takes some time for the deeply planted bulbs to make
their way to the surface.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]