Old 31-08-2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default A dwarf Camellia?

On 8/31/2008 9:17 PM, Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
We want to put Camellias in a space where it is shaded but has good light,
but there is a height limit of about 8 feet. Is there a Camellia for this
space or what might we use instead, here in zone 7, NW Mississippi. We
have a covered walk way to the shop,and the space between the sidewalk and
the house is 4 feet. (new house) Suggestions?
Thanks,
Jackie

My Camellia japonicas (what most people think of when they say
"camellia") are NOT dwarfs. However, they do not exceed 4-5 ft in
height and equal width. The most vigorous in my garden is 'Carter's
Sunburst' (huge pale pink semi-double flowers with dark pink streaks);
it might reach 6 ft if I didn't prune it to stay below my dining room
window. Actually, two of them -- 'Daikagura' (informal double, pink and
white marbling) and 'Thomas D. Pitts' (formal double, white) -- remain
about 3 ft high. All are easily pruned to stay smaller.

My C. sasanquas seem to stay smaller. 'Yuletide' (dark red) is a narrow
plant, about 3-4 ft high and 2 ft wide. 'Jean May' (pale pink),
'Chansonett' (medium pink), and 'White Doves' stay less than 2 ft high
but spread out about 2-3 ft wide. These all have single flowers and can
take somewhat more sun than C. japonica.

See my comments about soil, sun, and watering in the thread "Best
container for a camellia japonica?". In the ground, mine are planted on
slightly raised mounds. I amended the soil with a generous amount of
peat moss and and compost. Both the mounds and organic matter improve
drainage. I also broadcast a generous amount of gypsum around them
every year to keep my heavy clay soil from becoming a soggy paste. The
plants are mulched with leaves from my trees and with the output of my
office shredder to keep the soil cool and moist. Both mulches tend to
remove nutrients from the soil while decomposing; but this is okay with
camellias, which prefer a "lean" soil.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

You should be fine in that space. I have an older one that's pushing
7 feet. But they grow slowly and you can always trim it a little
after blooming.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 31, 9:17 pm, "Jacqueline Davidson"
wrote:
We want to put Camellias in a space where it is shaded but has good light,
but there is a height limit of about 8 feet. Is there a Camellia for this
space or what might we use instead, here in zone 7, NW Mississippi. We
have a covered walk way to the shop,and the space between the sidewalk and
the house is 4 feet. (new house) Suggestions?
Thanks,
Jackie

I agree that Yuletide is a rather small, upright, narrow bush. So is
Jean May,
but they grow to 6-8 feet here in Nor Cal. Cleopatra is smallish too,
and
Ave Maria about 6 ft.

Here are some NOT to get as they are all at least 10 feet and up to 15
ft. here.
Pink Perfection, Jordan's Pride, CM Wilson, Mrs Charles Cobb, Mrs.
Tingley,
Setsugekka, Kanjiro, Shishigashira, and Hana Jiman.
Emilie
NorCal