Old 29-11-2014, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing cotton

~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:
On 25/11/2014 3:49 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

[snip]
Drat, now I've got a song about Alabama running through my brain
and I'm darned if I can remember who sung it or enough of the
lyrics to do a google!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh!_Susanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYiXyZwgPB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZXvxOXXdCk

Nah, it's not 'Oh Susannah' - it's a modern song. I keep wondering
if it's Steely Dan or some group like that -it's got a very nasal
'Alabam' repeat refrain in it. Not 'Alabama', but 'Alabam'.

Drat, it'd disappeared overnight but now I've got it running round in
my head again!

Niel Young?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD3bGEFxGC0

Yep that's it, I said "America" not correct.

But closer in style than country music. Now I've got "Eagle Rock"
running in my brain. Somehow Daddy Cool's Eagle Rock goes along with
the beach. I'm sure that beign the only other Aussie here you'll be the
only person here who understand the reference though :-))
Old 30-11-2014, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:

[snip]
Drat, now I've got a song about Alabama running through my brain
and I'm darned if I can remember who sung it or enough of the
lyrics to do a google!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh!_Susanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYiXyZwgPB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZXvxOXXdCk

Nah, it's not 'Oh Susannah' - it's a modern song. I keep wondering
if it's Steely Dan or some group like that -it's got a very nasal
'Alabam' repeat refrain in it. Not 'Alabama', but 'Alabam'.

Drat, it'd disappeared overnight but now I've got it running round
in my head again!

Niel Young?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD3bGEFxGC0

Bingo!!!!!!!!! Thank you, you hit the nail on the head. Great to
have an answer.

I'm amazed that there are so many songs about Alabama. I've played a
heap on You tube but needed the answer before I could haear the right
one. Thanks again. Sorry for the delay in replying - been away at
the beach for a few days.

I'm pleased that I could help. It's what first came to mind when you asked
the question (I'm psychic g) but as soon as you mentioned a nasal sound I
was sure. ;-)

FWIW I really like the song, as well as a lot of Neil Young songs from that
era. He plays lead guitar like nobody else - almost discordant at times but
never enough to be unpleasant or jarring, just enough to make me sit up and
listen. The lead in "Words" is sublime and the solos in "Like a Hurricane"
aren't too shabby either.

I hope you enjoyed your holiday. Here in NZ after a pretty cold and
miserable spring apparently summer's going to arrive properly in the next
few days. I'll believe it when I see it.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."