Old 28-02-2003, 04:03 PM
JMH

Default Ice plants

Hi,

I try to grow some outdoor plants in pots in my apartment for fun. One of
these is the Ice plant. Mine did quite well all year, but lately is either
growing funny, or siomething happened to it. Whereas origianlly all the
stems, etc. were nice thick green, now they are all brown and stiff, but have
new little thick green leaves growing on the ends. It is like the 'branches'
grew and the plant is extending.
This is not optimal in a pot... Is it OK to cut back ice plants?
Thanks

JMH
Old 28-02-2003, 05:03 PM
animaux

I grow this plant in my garden and I went out to clean it up the other day. I
removed all that dead matter you are talking about (which is normal by the way)
and to encourage it to grow again from the crown, I cut the plant back by at
least half. I expect to see fleshy leaves emerge as soon as night temps are
stable.

Remove the dead stuff, give it a good dose of fertilizer and it should be fine.
Yes, it's okay and encouraged to cut them back, IMO.

Victoria

Old 28-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Cereoid+10+

To which "Ice Plants" do you allude? The leaf succulent ground covers of the
Mesembryanthema (Mesembs) or the deciduous hardy perennials of the genus
Hylotelephium (formerly Sedum section Telephium). The two are very
different.

Old 28-02-2003, 07:39 PM
animaux

I am speaking of the perennial, but mine is evergreen. I'd have to look on my
plant list, if it's even on there. I thought it was an annual so didn't list
it, but will add it now. I have to take a look at some photo's.

JMH m wrote in message
Hi,

I try to grow some outdoor plants in pots in my apartment for fun. One of
these is the Ice plant. Mine did quite well all year, but lately is either
growing funny, or siomething happened to it. Whereas origianlly all the
stems, etc. were nice thick green, now they are all brown and stiff, but

have
new little thick green leaves growing on the ends. It is like the

'branches'
grew and the plant is extending.
This is not optimal in a pot... Is it OK to cut back ice plants?
Thanks

JMH

[IMG] code is On

A Blanket of Ice Plants Bob Williams[_3_] Garden Photos 0 21-04-2010 09:23 AM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 08:41 AM
A Carpet of Ice Plants Bob Williams[_3_] Garden Photos 0 17-04-2007 06:14 AM
Hole in Ice - Canada Joel Ponds 15 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
Hole in Ice - Canada Joel Ponds (alternative) 12 14-02-2003 10:03 PM