Old 27-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Chris S.

Default Fragrant Phlox...

I really like the scent of wild phlox that I come across in the woods.
Just wondering if all phlox varieties smell that way? Or if there is a
variety that has even a stronger scent? I would love to have that scent
in my yard.

Thanks,
Chris Swartz
Zone 5
Old 28-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

That sounds like a good project for you to work on.

Did you do a google search?

Phlox is a rather large North American genus so it is difficult to know
exactly what you mean by "Wild Phlox".

Old 28-05-2003, 08:20 AM
gregpresley

If you are seeing wild phlox in the woods right now, it probably is phlox
divaricata or some close relative. Phlox in more open sites that is blooming
at this time is phlox subulata. (Lower growing, needlelike leaves). Phlox
blooming on the roadsides in Texas or Florida (probably about finished by
now), is annual phlox, phlox drummondi. Most species are quite
sweet-smelling, particularly if you get your nose right down in them. The
most common kinds in gardens are probably phlox subulata in the spring, and
phlox paniculata in the summer. The summer phlox is a much taller grower
(about 2 feet tall or so), with big panicles of flowers, and is very
fragrant. Hope this helps.

Old 29-05-2003, 11:32 AM
jcart003

"Chris S." wrote in message

I really like the scent of wild phlox that I come across in the woods.
Just wondering if all phlox varieties smell that way? Or if there is a
variety that has even a stronger scent? I would love to have that scent
in my yard.

Thanks,
Chris Swartz
Zone 5

Lots of folks think that wild Hesperis matronalis (sweet rocket) are
wild phlox, they look somewhat similar and smell great. If you see
them now in zone 5 I would bet Hesperis.... easy to grow from seed,
takes part shade to full sun and comes in purple and white and
reseeds. Plant in the fall.
Old 29-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Chris S.

jcart003, wrote...
"Chris S." wrote in message

I really like the scent of wild phlox that I come across in the woods.
Just wondering if all phlox varieties smell that way? Or if there is a
variety that has even a stronger scent? I would love to have that scent
in my yard.

Thanks,
Chris Swartz
Zone 5

Lots of folks think that wild Hesperis matronalis (sweet rocket) are
wild phlox, they look somewhat similar and smell great. If you see
them now in zone 5 I would bet Hesperis.... easy to grow from seed,
takes part shade to full sun and comes in purple and white and
reseeds. Plant in the fall.

That may very well be it. I have only seen white and purple when I'm out
and they're about 36" in height. They're certainly in bloom right now.

Thanks for all who responded.

-Chris Swartz

[IMG] code is On

Transplanting Tall Phlox junkyardcat Gardening 1 27-06-2004 07:05 PM
Propagating Tall Phlox Dan D. Gardening 12 04-02-2004 01:32 AM
Mould on Phlox Roy Jones United Kingdom 0 23-12-2003 10:13 PM
Summer Phlox Jeff Hancock Gardening 2 15-07-2003 01:22 PM
????Why won't Phlox bloom???? TOM KAN PA Gardening 9 30-05-2003 04:08 PM