Old 02-02-2003, 06:05 AM
Claude

Default Question about strawberries!

Hello!

I just bought a kit to start strawberries from seeds in a ceramic pot! I
lived in Montréal, zone 5 b ( I think ) and I would like to know what is the
best time to start them?
And, what do you do at winter time? Should I let the pot outdoor, isolated
with leaves and styrofoam?

Thanks

Claude

Old 02-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Dwayne

Good morning Claude. You didnt indicate if you are going to make a
strawberry bed or were you intending to grow them in a pot? If you want to
raise strawberries, I would build a bed for them and plant them there. If
you want a nice plant to hang up and look pretty and give you a conversation
piece, a hanging pot is fine.

I used to have about 60 plants in a bed and picked about 5 cups every other
day. I got a type that was good for the cold weather, an everbearer, and
never mulched it. I dont know how cold your winters get.

Hope this helped you. Maybe someone else will gove you more information.
Good luck. Dwayne

Old 02-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Claude

Hello Dwayne!

Thank you for your answer.

`m planning to grow them in a pot! It is a special potcalled ( fraisière )
in French. It`s a ceramic pot with 4 pockets on the side.
You can plant some seeds at the top of the pot and in each of those pocket.

The winter here is very cold. Last week it was aroung - 30 Centigrade.
So, i don`t know what i`m going to do next winter although we have a lot of
strawberries grower in my area. Should I burried the pot in dead leaves and
let it outside, protected from the cold?

Also, the growing instruction says that the seeds are veruy slow to
germinate. Should I start them now knowing the end of April is very nice and
warm outside?

Thanks

Claude

Old 03-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Dwayne

You could start them now, I know nothing about strawberry seeds. I have
always bought the plants. The only problem I see that you might have is
light. Do you have a window on the South side of the house you could hang
it in after they start coming up?

Seeds need a certain temperature to germinate, and then light to keep them
healthy. If they don't have enough light, they just get long and skinny.

If you started them now and provided adequate light once they are up, you
should be OK. Could you plant some of them now and the rest in 30 days?

Once they start sending out runners, you could direct them to something else
containing dirt, and then when they have established roots, cut the runners
and transplant the new one where ever you wanted to.

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 04-02-2003, 02:45 AM
Piscanthropus Profundus

"Claude" wrote in message
Hello Dwayne!

Thank you for your answer.

`m planning to grow them in a pot! It is a special potcalled ( fraisière )
in French. It`s a ceramic pot with 4 pockets on the side.
You can plant some seeds at the top of the pot and in each of those

pocket.

The winter here is very cold. Last week it was aroung - 30 Centigrade.
So, i don`t know what i`m going to do next winter although we have a lot

of
strawberries grower in my area. Should I burried the pot in dead leaves

and
let it outside, protected from the cold?

You can bury the pot [and plants] for the following season. Strawberry pots
are usually unglazed, so be prepared for it to crumble or break within a few
years when subjected to winter temperatures.

Also, the growing instruction says that the seeds are veruy slow to
germinate. Should I start them now knowing the end of April is very nice

and
warm outside?

Aim for mid-May and be prepared to protect the young plants from late frost.

Profundus
Niagara Falls, Zone5b

Old 06-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Claude

Thank you very much!

My pot is actually glazed ( bought it from Zellers/The Bay )

Thanks again

Claude

news: ...