1 year old grass seed still good?

Old 24-06-2004, 06:02 PM
lbbss

Default 1 year old grass seed still good?

I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

Old 24-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Doug Kanter

Probably good enough. Do a germination test in a flower pot. If you really
want to be obsessive, count the seeds, space them far enough apart to spot
each sprout, and count the sprouts. The bag itself may list a minimum
germination rate for comparison purposes. Whether the result is acceptable
to you depends on whether you're doing a large area that's crucial, or just
a little patching.

Old 24-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/24/04 11:03 AM, in article , "lbbss"
wrote:

I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

Go for it and sow heavily!
Cheryl

Old 24-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Brian Watson

"lbbss" wrote in message
I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

Throw them away by spreading them across the area where you want a lawn and
see what happens.

:-)

--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

Old 25-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:03:14 -0400, lbbss wrote:
I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

Maybe, maybe not. For longest life, most grass seeds need to be stored
below 50oF, 50% relative humidity, and that's not possible in most
garages. The only way to find out is to plant some.
Old 25-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Timothy

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:03:14 -0400, lbbss wrote:

I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

It maybe good...but..?

I would take some seed and put it in a bucket. Add water and if most of
the seed floats, then it's no good.
Hth... good luck.

Old 25-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Timothy

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:48:30 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

"Timothy" wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:03:14 -0400, lbbss wrote:

I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in

my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

It maybe good...but..?

I would take some seed and put it in a bucket. Add water and if most of
the seed floats, then it's no good.
Hth... good luck.

Not.

How so...?
Thats what was said at the masters class last year. The theory behind
behind this (as told to me) is that with age the germ inside dries out and
thus replaced with air. Hence when placed in water it will float. I've
tried this on my own and found this observation to be true.

Please, if I'm incorrect, feel free to enlighten me with the correct
information. "Just cuz" will not suffice.........

Old 25-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:50:53 GMT, Timothy wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:48:30 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

How so...?
Thats what was said at the masters class last year. The theory behind
behind this (as told to me) is that with age the germ inside dries out and
thus replaced with air. Hence when placed in water it will float. I've
tried this on my own and found this observation to be true.

Please, if I'm incorrect, feel free to enlighten me with the correct
information. "Just cuz" will not suffice.........

If the seed has been exposed to high temperatures and high humidity
(think a nice warm garage in Houston), it'll still be dead or have
vastly reduced viability, but moist enough to sink. Conversely, a well-dried
but viable seed (perhaps freshly harvested from a well-dried plant) may float.

There are a number of ways of quick-checking viability, including such
things as tetrazolium tests, but the best method at home remains just
trying to germinate the seed.

Kay

Old 26-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Snooze

"lbbss" wrote in message
I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

If the seeds have died, you're going to throw them away, so just spread it
out on the lawn, if they germinate, great, if they don't, no loss.

Snooze

Old 26-06-2004, 07:02 PM
the q

"lbbss" wrote in message
I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

I've used some five years old no problems, a good growth

The Q

Old 26-06-2004, 11:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

"lbbss" wrote:

I have a bag full of grass seed 1 or 2 years old that I was storing in my
garage (opened). Is it still good?

My landlord just threw down seed that was 5-10 years old from the
basement and weeks later he's got a decent amount of grass. We weren't
sure whether it had a lower germination or whether the seed simply
washed down the hill some.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html