Old 28-06-2004, 03:15 PM
j www

Default old grass seeds still useable ?

hi, have found some old grass seeds that i bought loose one or maybe two
years ago.

since i now have a huge bare patch in my lawn after the moss killer did its'
business, i am now wondering if it is o.k. to use these old seeds ?

thanking you for any advice.

yours john west

Old 28-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article kJVDc.71$444.40@newsfe4-gui,
"j www" writes:
| hi, have found some old grass seeds that i bought loose one or maybe two
| years ago.
|
| since i now have a huge bare patch in my lawn after the moss killer did its'
| business, i am now wondering if it is o.k. to use these old seeds ?

Why not? They will either germinate, in which case they are as
good as new, or they won't, in which case they will rot down to
humus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Mark Warren

j www wrote:
hi, have found some old grass seeds that i bought loose one or
maybe two years ago.

since i now have a huge bare patch in my lawn after the moss killer
did its' business, i am now wondering if it is o.k. to use these old
seeds ?

I some seeds from a half used box that has probably been sat in my garage
for three or more years this spring and it grew fine. Probably now the best
bit of grass in my lawn since the daisies, clover, buttercups, moss etc.
have not got into it yet. Try it, what do you have to lose.

Mark

Old 28-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Sacha

On 28/6/04 2:08 pm, in article kJVDc.71$444.40@newsfe4-gui, "j www"
wrote:

hi, have found some old grass seeds that i bought loose one or maybe two
years ago.

since i now have a huge bare patch in my lawn after the moss killer did its'
business, i am now wondering if it is o.k. to use these old seeds ?

It's certainly worth a try but may I suggest you use a trick of my
husband's? He mixes grass seed with compost, rolls the top of the bag over
lightly, having just dampened the compost and waits for it to germinate.
When it has, he scatters it onto bare patches etc. He sometimes covers that
with a horticultural fleece held down with stones, just to give it a bit
more boost and to keep people from walking on it, of course.
Not only does this get the seeds off to a flying start, it makes them less
attractive to birds.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Rod

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:08:16 +0100, "j www"
wrote:

hi, have found some old grass seeds that i bought loose one or maybe two
years ago.

since i now have a huge bare patch in my lawn after the moss killer did its'
business, i am now wondering if it is o.k. to use these old seeds ?

thanking you for any advice.

yours john west

It only takes 10 days to find out ;~) Resow with fresh seed if it
doesn't work.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

3 year old Grass Seeds Pravda Lawns 3 19-07-2008 07:23 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
1 year old grass seed still good? lbbss Edible Gardening 11 26-06-2004 10:03 PM
1 year old grass seed still good? lbbss Gardening 11 26-06-2004 10:02 PM