Underlayment for Gravel Bed?

Old 25-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Walter R.

Default Underlayment for Gravel Bed?

I need to cover a bare strip of ground along the curb with rock.

Is it advisable or necessary to use a "weed fabric" or black plastic
underneath the gravel in order to avoid weeds? Is there a preference? Living
in Southern California, where weeds grow like crazy.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 25-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Dick Adams

Walter R. wrote:

I need to cover a bare strip of ground along the curb with rock.

Is it advisable or necessary to use a "weed fabric" or black plastic
underneath the gravel in order to avoid weeds? Is there a preference?
Living in Southern California, where weeds grow like crazy.

I do that everytime I put down or mulch.

Dick

Old 25-06-2005, 09:59 PM
David Bockman

"Walter R." wrote in
:

I need to cover a bare strip of ground along the curb with rock.

Is it advisable or necessary to use a "weed fabric" or black plastic
underneath the gravel in order to avoid weeds? Is there a preference?
Living in Southern California, where weeds grow like crazy.

Yes, not only will it prevent weed seeds from germinating below the gravel,
it will also make weeds which are blown in easier to pull, since they'll
just be rooted in the loose gravel. As well, it will keep the gravel from
migrating down into the soil, making replenishing of the gravel less
frequent.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 26-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Leon Trollski

"David Bockman" wrote in message
9.11...
"Walter R." wrote in
:

I need to cover a bare strip of ground along the curb with rock.

Is it advisable or necessary to use a "weed fabric" or black plastic
underneath the gravel in order to avoid weeds? Is there a preference?
Living in Southern California, where weeds grow like crazy.

Yes, not only will it prevent weed seeds from germinating below the

gravel,
it will also make weeds which are blown in easier to pull, since they'll
just be rooted in the loose gravel. As well, it will keep the gravel from
migrating down into the soil, making replenishing of the gravel less
frequent.

Horsehockey.

Ground fabrics are known to cause more harm than good. They impede flow of
oxygen and stop microbiota, insects and beneficial organisms from doing
their job. Plus the damn stuff is plastic and plastic has no place in your
garden.

Old 26-06-2005, 01:08 PM
David Bockman

"Leon Trollski" wrote in

Yes, not only will it prevent weed seeds from germinating below the

gravel,
it will also make weeds which are blown in easier to pull, since
they'll just be rooted in the loose gravel. As well, it will keep the
gravel from migrating down into the soil, making replenishing of the
gravel less frequent.

Horsehockey.

Ground fabrics are known to cause more harm than good. They impede
flow of oxygen and stop microbiota, insects and beneficial organisms
from doing their job. Plus the damn stuff is plastic and plastic has
no place in your garden.

The question concerned an area where tilth was not an issue.