Old 09-11-2002, 05:24 AM
Paul W. Campbell

Default Planting Winter Rye Grass

In Phoenix, here is one way to do it:
-------------

Fall Lawn Ca Overseeding
08/28/2002

By Garden Guy Dave Owens

Daytime temperatures are still warm, but those night and early morning
temperatures are nice and cool. That means it's time to change the
grass.

For those of you just moving into the Valley, it's probably news to
you that there are two lawns: summer and winter. If you want a green
lawn in the winter, you'll need to plant it soon; and your window to
do it only lasts from now until November.

The advantages of overseeding include weed control, nut grass control
and a green lawn for to six to nine months.

For a lush green lawn, there are some tasks to be completed and timing
is important. See the steps below for an easy how-to list for creating
a beautiful winter lawn.

Eight Weeks to Go: De-thatch
This process removes grass and other material that builds up on the
soil, blocking out light, oxygen and water. If you can see the soil
through your grass, there is no need to de-thatch. If you can't see
the soil below your grass, de-thatch your lawn eight weeks before
overseeding.

Four Weeks to Go: Stop Fertilizing Your Lawn
Do not fertilize your lawn again until you see grass sprouting.

Two Weeks to Go: Adjust Your Lawnmower
Raise your mower blade and cut your Bermuda grass with normal
frequency.

One Week to Go: Reduce Watering Time
Cut the watering time in half to slow growth.

Overseeding Day
Mow grass normally, then drop the mower and scalp the Bermuda grass.
Rake away the excess grass, then aerate your lawn (You can rent an
aerating machine from a local rental shop).

After you've aerated the lawn, use a drop spreader or whirlybird to
spread your grass seeds in a criss-cross pattern across your lawn.
Unless you recently put in sod, I recommend using a perennial rye
seed. Now, this seed is more expensive, but uses less water, doesn't
stain clothes, creates a lush lawn and requires less mowing.

The seed-to-lawn ratio is about 20 pounds of seed for every 1,000
square feet of lawn.

After you've spread the grass seed, spread a 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch
layer of compost over the seed. Don't apply the compost too heavily or
you'll suffocate the seed.

Remember: A dry seed is a dead seed. Water your new lawn three to four
times each day, in 3- to 5-minute increments. Keep the soil moist, but
not wet (i.e. no standing water).

Allow the grass to grow 2 inches, then stop watering your lawn for 24
hours. Mow your lawn, then set up a new watering schedule.

Note: Always water in the morning and fertilize regularly with
organics.

On Sat, 02 Nov 2002 06:44:40 GMT, Owlman wrote:

I haven't planted winter rye before. I live in Southern California,
so the winters are quite mild. Do I just toss rye grass seed over my
existing bermuda lawn? Do I have to do anything else for it to take
hold?

It's my understanding that winter rye will die back when the hot sun
gets to it during the summer. Is that correct?

Thanx

---
Paul Campbell
Create-A-View Land Design
www.createaview.com

planting winter rye rhyno Lawns 2 03-01-2007 11:21 PM
To Rye or not to rye, this is the question Art Vega Texas 9 02-11-2004 04:26 PM
planting winter rye this fall brickled Gardening 1 20-08-2004 02:21 PM
overseeding winter rye grass jeff harrison Gardening 0 14-04-2004 03:33 AM
Changing over from Winter Rye Grass Vicky Lawns 1 09-05-2003 01:32 AM