Old 19-02-2011, 09:10 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default 2011 vegetable gardening season begins

This afternoon we planted sugar snap peas.
Soil moisture was ideal.
High hopes for bountiful harvests this year!

Daniel B. Martin

Old 20-02-2011, 06:32 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On Feb 19, 4:10*pm, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote:
This afternoon we planted sugar snap peas.
Soil moisture was ideal.
High hopes for bountiful harvests this year!

Daniel B. Martin

Tilled mine yesterday. It was a two tylenol night. Bought Snow peas
and seed potatoes (Arkansas Blue), blackeyed peas and stringbeans for
later. Hope to plant tomorrow - maybe the today if the mood strikes.
Still need to add lime and go back and buy some swiss chard and
onions. It was quite prolific last year and survived the heat better
and lasted longer than other greens.
Old 22-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B. Martin View Post
This afternoon we planted sugar snap peas.
Soil moisture was ideal.
High hopes for bountiful harvests this year!

Daniel B. Martin
High hopes indeed! I was wondering what fruit trees would be best to plant this season! Any help? I would mostly appreciate it! Thank you Daniel!
Old 22-03-2011, 10:36 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 03/22/2011 07:02 AM, and19bre wrote:
High hopes indeed! I was wondering what fruit trees would be best to
plant this season! Any help? I would mostly appreciate it!

Grow what you like to eat!

I grow mostly veggies. My only fruit trees are Asian Persimmons.
Neighbors grow lovely peaches and blueberries. The berries grow on a
bush, not a tree, and produce a bountiful harvest of healthful fruit.

Your choice of tree might be influenced by the nature of your soil.
The NC Department of Agriculture performs soil tests at no charge.
http://www.ncagr.gov/agronomi/uyrst.htm

Be aware that most fruit requires spraying to control insect pests and
fencing to exclude hungry animals.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 27-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B. Martin View Post
On 03/22/2011 07:02 AM, and19bre wrote:[color=blue][i]
I grow mostly veggies. My only fruit trees are Asian Persimmons.
Neighbors grow lovely peaches and blueberries. The berries grow on a
bush, not a tree, and produce a bountiful harvest of healthful fruit.

Your choice of tree might be influenced by the nature of your soil.
The NC Department of Agriculture performs soil tests at no charge.
NCDA&CS Agronomic Division - Soil Test Forms and Information

Be aware that most fruit requires spraying to control insect pests and
fencing to exclude hungry animals.

Daniel B. Martin
Wow! Great tip! I would love to plant some berries too. Which kind do your neighbors grow? How would I know which type would do well on the type of soil that I have?

Old 27-03-2011, 04:26 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 03/27/2011 07:42 AM, and19bre wrote:
I would love to plant some berries too.
Which kind do your neighbors grow?

They don't know. The bushes were on the property when they bought the
house.

How would I know which type would do well on the
type of soil that I have?

Good information found he
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8207.html

Daniel B. Martin

And the cutting begins... CJ Lawns 0 18-05-2004 02:27 PM
Snow Crocus Season Begins paghat Gardening 6 29-01-2004 10:32 AM
Glosso: When it begins to spread? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
Toad song begins...crickets on speed Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 7 06-04-2003 09:20 AM
Glosso: When it begins to spread? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 08-03-2003 02:23 PM