Old 17-04-2008, 10:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Asctm ampullaceum 'Gina' X a. moulmienense 'Christopher'

Here's a basket of this cross. It's a wonderful middle color between the
two parents. All offspring seem to be this color.
Gary

Attached Thumbnails
Asctm ampullaceum 'Gina' X a. moulmienense 'Christopher'-asctm-ampullaceum-gina-x-.-moulmienense-christopher.jpg   Asctm ampullaceum 'Gina' X a. moulmienense 'Christopher'-asctm-ampullaceum-gina-x-.-moulmienense-christopher5.jpg
Old 18-04-2008, 03:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Nice one Gary, wondering if this one is from the same group as the one I got
from you. (the same age) If so, then
it likes the wooden basket much more! No?
Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 18-04-2008, 12:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

It's a younger plant but has the same color. I grow Asctm mounted and in a
basket. I think it depends on your preference and watering habits.If you use
a basket, use large chunky stuff that doesn't break down very fast or hold
lots of water. Since the plants are fairly small I use pumice rock where
weight isn't an issue as it might be in a 12 or 14" basket. I use 6" baskets
for single plants which is plenty as they mature. The one in the picture is
an 8" pot because it's a group of 3 siblings.
Gary

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Nice one Gary, wondering if this one is from the same group as the one I
got from you. (the same age) If so, then
it likes the wooden basket much more! No?
Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 18-04-2008, 01:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

FWIW, I've been finding that they do really well in EpiWeb pots or baskets
of EpiWeb chunks. The little droplets of water are held in the web without
any fear of restricting air flow.

I find that it doesn't take any more care than normal empty-basket culture
(possibly less), and I've been experimenting with the depth, figuring a
taller pot full of the chunks might hold onto more water droplets.

I have two neostylis plants (Neofinetia falcata x Rhynchostylis Mary Motes)
next to each other. One is in a 4" deep basket about 10" in diameter (the
root system dictated that), the other is about 9" tall. Both were being
grown really dry when I got them late last year, and they are both putting
out new rots like mad. So far, I can tell no difference.

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Nice one Gary, wondering if this one is from the same group as the one I
got from you. (the same age) If so, then
it likes the wooden basket much more! No?
Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 18-04-2008, 08:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

The EpiWeb makes new rots like mad?? *G* Sorry Ray, I couldn't pass on this
one!
Cheers Wendy
"Ray B" wrote in message
FWIW, I've been finding that they do really well in EpiWeb pots or baskets
of EpiWeb chunks. The little droplets of water are held in the web
without any fear of restricting air flow.

I find that it doesn't take any more care than normal empty-basket culture
(possibly less), and I've been experimenting with the depth, figuring a
taller pot full of the chunks might hold onto more water droplets.

I have two neostylis plants (Neofinetia falcata x Rhynchostylis Mary
Motes) next to each other. One is in a 4" deep basket about 10" in
diameter (the root system dictated that), the other is about 9" tall.
Both were being grown really dry when I got them late last year, and they
are both putting out new rots like mad. So far, I can tell no difference.

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Nice one Gary, wondering if this one is from the same group as the one I
got from you. (the same age) If so, then
it likes the wooden basket much more! No?
Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 18-04-2008, 10:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I've been thinking about potting in some EpiWeb. Will you keep us updated on
your trials? I don't think anyone would consider it an advertisement. It's
good solid information we can all use. Thanks.
Gary

"Ray B" wrote in message
FWIW, I've been finding that they do really well in EpiWeb pots or baskets
of EpiWeb chunks. The little droplets of water are held in the web
without any fear of restricting air flow.

I find that it doesn't take any more care than normal empty-basket culture
(possibly less), and I've been experimenting with the depth, figuring a
taller pot full of the chunks might hold onto more water droplets.

I have two neostylis plants (Neofinetia falcata x Rhynchostylis Mary
Motes) next to each other. One is in a 4" deep basket about 10" in
diameter (the root system dictated that), the other is about 9" tall.
Both were being grown really dry when I got them late last year, and they
are both putting out new rots like mad. So far, I can tell no difference.

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Nice one Gary, wondering if this one is from the same group as the one I
got from you. (the same age) If so, then
it likes the wooden basket much more! No?
Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 18-04-2008, 11:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I just got some Oncidium oliganthum seedlings from Troy Meyers today. Made
myself some little "Epipots" (3" OD, 1" ID) to stick them in.

There is no question that you need frequent watering and/or high humidity to
deal with the stuff, but if you can do that, the plants go nuts. I am
thinking about moving a lot of encyclias, catts, and oncids to it.

At the Orchidsource forum, people have been having talking about success
growing specimen catts on tubes made from coco fiber. The center being
filled or not, depending upon the plants' needs and the growers conditions.
Seems to me that an Epiweb tube will be similarly successful. All I have
to do is figure out how to actually make them.....

. ..

"Ray B" wrote in message
FWIW, I've been finding that they do really well in EpiWeb pots or
baskets of EpiWeb chunks. The little droplets of water are held in the
web without any fear of restricting air flow.

I find that it doesn't take any more care than normal empty-basket
culture (possibly less), and I've been experimenting with the depth,
figuring a taller pot full of the chunks might hold onto more water
droplets.

I have two neostylis plants (Neofinetia falcata x Rhynchostylis Mary
Motes) next to each other. One is in a 4" deep basket about 10" in
diameter (the root system dictated that), the other is about 9" tall.
Both were being grown really dry when I got them late last year, and they
are both putting out new rots like mad. So far, I can tell no
difference.

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Nice one Gary, wondering if this one is from the same group as the one
I got from you. (the same age) If so, then
it likes the wooden basket much more! No?
Cheers Wendy
.. .

Old 19-04-2008, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

That will be saved and trotted out when they do your "appreciation" thread,
Ray.

Very pretty color on that flower, BTW, on my screen a nice tropical punch
pink.

"Ray B" wrote in message
OK. OK. Give me a break!

"Ray B" wrote in message
FWIW, I've been finding that they do really well in EpiWeb pots or
baskets of EpiWeb chunks. The little droplets of water are held in the
web without any fear of restricting air flow.

I find that it doesn't take any more care than normal empty-basket
culture (possibly less), and I've been experimenting with the depth,
figuring a taller pot full of the chunks might hold onto more water
droplets.

I have two neostylis plants (Neofinetia falcata x Rhynchostylis Mary
Motes) next to each other. One is in a 4" deep basket about 10" in
diameter (the root system dictated that), the other is about 9" tall.
Both were being grown really dry when I got them late last year, and
they are both putting out new rots like mad. So far, I can tell no
difference.

. ..

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Nice one Gary, wondering if this one is from the same group as the one
I got from you. (the same age) If so, then
it likes the wooden basket much more! No?
Cheers Wendy
"v_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
Here's a basket of this cross. It's a wonderful middle color between
the two parents. All offspring seem to be this color.
Gary

Rate This Thread: