Old 13-04-2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
cvandyke

Default Phragmipedium Problem

While most of my phrags are growing well, the leaves of some of some of the
new growths and new leaves on some smaller plants have acquired a brownish
yellow sick color. Roots are not bad, but could be better. Some plants
are in S/H and others are in a bark/CHC mix. I am using the Michigan State
fertilizer in RO water, but do alternate with Jack's RO orchid fertilizer.
Multiple fans in the greenhouse keep air circulating, I have shading
(aluminized) now on the greenhouse and keep the temps between 60 and about
75 this time of year. Any comments on what the problem is/could be or a
possible solution? Not all my phrags show this, but I don't want the
problem to spread.

Someone mentioned that I should get a leaf cultured/tested for
Xanthamonous, Fusarium or Anthracnose. Does anyone know where any tests
could be done?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Charles VanDyke

Old 13-04-2006, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Hi Charles,
Is this disease killing parts of the leaves or are the leaves changing
color but staying alive?
If you were to cut off all the bad looking parts, would there be
anything left of the worst plants?

Steve

Old 13-04-2006, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Why not turn to American Floral Endowment at http://www.endowment.org/
and ask them, they should know.

Best of luck
Harry
http://www.successflorist.com

Old 16-04-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:26:24 -0400, Steve wrote:

Hi Charles,
Is this disease killing parts of the leaves or are the leaves changing
color but staying alive?
If you were to cut off all the bad looking parts, would there be
anything left of the worst plants?

Steve

Charles -
Are these plants growing well with yellow-green leaves or not growing
well and showing sick yellow leaves?

Could these plants be in a location where the sun sneaks around your
shading and they are getting more sun than you think?

I would move them in away from the glass a bit to check for an
over-exposed problem. If it is extra sun, they may be able to take it
with more food or it may be that they are just stressed too much and
need relief.

Our feeding styles are all personal balance between sun and water
along with feeding. This trio needs to be properly balanced in each
gh and is not necessarily the same from grower to grower. It is very
dependent on the sun and temp. in your growing space. After all our
plants can be stressed just as we can.