Old 02-07-2006, 02:15 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Quilljar

Default War boatmen

Today, I observed the water boatmen in our small garden pond raft up in a
kind of star shape. I have never seen this behaviour before, and I wonder if
anyone could explain it to me?
Here is a photo. The actual insects are about one centimetre long.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60022413uWvwBn

--
Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:56 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 14:15:55 +0100, Quilljar wrote:

Today, I observed the water boatmen in our small garden pond raft up in a
kind of star shape. I have never seen this behaviour before, and I wonder if
anyone could explain it to me?
Here is a photo. The actual insects are about one centimetre long.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60022413uWvwBn

It's not a water boatman it's a pond skater:
http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/in...ris_lacustris/

This is a water boatman:
http://www.naturegrid.org.uk/biodive...boatman,l.html

We have a few pond skaters on the pond but I've never seen them make a raft like that.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 02-07-2006, 06:31 PM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
sally

Thank-you for that. So pond skaters eh? They still look intruiging as a
raft. They held it for some minutes but when I phographed them they
dispersed. I wonder if Glbert White has anything to say about this?

Quilljar

Old 06-07-2006, 03:57 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Lar

In article , wykehill-
says...
Today, I observed the water boatmen in our small garden pond raft up in a
kind of star shape. I have never seen this behaviour before, and I wonder if
anyone could explain it to me?
Here is a photo. The actual insects are about one centimetre long.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60022413uWvwBn

two guesses...1 a female has released a pheromone that attracted a mass
of suitors in which one will begin mating..or two under the mass is a
large insect/dead fish they are mass feeding on, but I don't think I
have heard of adults doing that where as the first couple of instars
will. Here is a page of a guy who probably could answer your question
better...scroll down the page to get his email.
http://www.ebc.uu.se/zooeko/GoranA/GA1.html
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:48 AM posted to alt.garden.pond.chat
Quilljar

Thank you Lar,
I have emaailed Dr Arnqvist right away

Cheers Quilly

For four good books to read look at...
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/covers.htm
Buy three or four altogether and get economy postage.

Hysterical right wingers and war William Barwell sci.agriculture 0 30-03-2003 12:32 PM
US pulls back from food war with Europe Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 33 27-03-2003 11:08 AM
Hysterical right wingers and war William Barwell sci.agriculture 0 24-02-2003 03:20 AM
OT financing the war K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 02:16 AM
here's an interesting idea for those of you who don't want war with J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 31-01-2003 12:55 AM