Old 22-12-2010, 10:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default He's Baaaaack!

The Great Blue Heron that is. sigh The pond is covered in leaf netting
but that didn't stop him/her from dropping in to gaze at the fish below.
Not interested in having my fish serve as a meal for him/her as ~jan's
home video documented last year.

What's a ponder to do?!

Old 23-12-2010, 01:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Dec 22, 3:55 pm, JB wrote:
The Great Blue Heron that is. sigh The pond is covered in leaf netting
but that didn't stop him/her from dropping in to gaze at the fish below.
Not interested in having my fish serve as a meal for him/her as ~jan's
home video documented last year.

What's a ponder to do?!

And here I thought that was just a big chicken! Fries up REAL
nice! :-)

Old 24-12-2010, 01:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Bummer to have the threat. If you see him regularly, you can
consistently scare him off. They will take the message. If you have
a bb gun, from a distance it will hurt but not penetrate. Stronger
message. Our pellet gun would resolve the problem in a different
manner...more like Dale's chicken solution.

Old 24-12-2010, 10:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:01:21 EST, Phyllis and Jim

wrote:

Bummer to have the threat. If you see him regularly, you can

consistently scare him off. They will take the message. If you have

a bb gun, from a distance it will hurt but not penetrate. Stronger

message. Our pellet gun would resolve the problem in a different

manner...more like Dale's chicken solution.

I use a pump type pellet gun. Three pumps gets the pellet out of the

barrel and a stinging (but non-lethal) shot at fairly close range.

Old 25-12-2010, 02:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Three pumps gets the pellet out of the

barrel and a stinging (but non-lethal) shot at fairly close range.

I like the mild pellet proposal. I don't have a pump gun, however. A
few stings would be very discouraging.

Old 26-12-2010, 01:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:55:11 EST, JB wrote:

The Great Blue Heron that is. sigh The pond is covered in leaf netting
but that didn't stop him/her from dropping in to gaze at the fish below.
Not interested in having my fish serve as a meal for him/her as ~jan's
home video documented last year.

What's a ponder to do?!

As long as your leaf netting is high enough above the water that he can't
stab thru, your fish should be safe. How about one of those rifles that
just shoots air? I always thought a paint gun would be kind of a good
message.... I doubt you'd want any getting in the pond though. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 27-12-2010, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On 12/26/2010 7:19 AM, ~ jan wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:55:11 EST, wrote:

The Great Blue Heron that is.sigh The pond is covered in leaf netting
but that didn't stop him/her from dropping in to gaze at the fish below.
Not interested in having my fish serve as a meal for him/her as ~jan's
home video documented last year.

What's a ponder to do?!

As long as your leaf netting is high enough above the water that he can't
stab thru, your fish should be safe. How about one of those rifles that
just shoots air? I always thought a paint gun would be kind of a good
message.... I doubt you'd want any getting in the pond though. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Yes, net height is important. Last time one visited the net was up but
not high enough to prevent a fish from getting grabbed and pulled out of
the water. I found a goldfish in two pieces lying on the side of the
pond underneath the netting.

Old 15-01-2011, 11:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:31:26 EST, "ReelMcKoi"

wrote:

How can anyone know if the shot is lethal or not? There is no way to

know if the pellet penetrated the feathers or not.

Well, three pumps in my air rifle and the pellet won't even penetrate

a single sheet of paper, so I think it's a safe bet that it won't

penetrate skin, feathers, whatever. I know, I know, but "you could

put an eye out with that thing." Except you may not actually be able

to, at that power, certainly not at any range.

Sometimes it takes

a few days before the bird dies. Why not call your wildlife agent and

ask how to control them? Shooting things at them is not the answer.

Yes I had a Federal permit some years ago as a wild bird rehabilitator.

No, I've never rehabilitated any birds but I have helped some snakes

through some pretty rough times.

Old 15-01-2011, 08:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 06:50:45 EST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

No, I've never rehabilitated any birds but I have helped some snakes
through some pretty rough times.

Hmmmm... sounds like there is a story there? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-01-2011, 06:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

No, I've never rehabilitated any birds but I have helped some snakes

through some pretty rough times.

Hmmmm... sounds like there is a story there? ~ jan

The settlement prohibits me from discussing the details of this case.

And the restraining order. And the sheep.

Rate This Thread: