Old 26-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default What triggers toad/frog croaking?

Our toals and tree frogs are now on full. They start and stop at
interesting times. Does anyone know what triggers them?

We rae wondering if it is temperature? They run for inconsistent lengths of
time and at different times of noght...tho they start as it gets dark.

We will monitor temperature for a while to see.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 26-04-2003, 05:56 AM
K30a

I think they croak when water and air temperatures reach a certain range.
Why breed if your eggs are going to freeze?
Bullfrogs usually breed when air temperatures are about 77F and water
temperatures are between 68F and 89F.
I know mine usually started courting here in SE WA about the end of June.
Our Junes can be chilly at times.

k30a
Old 26-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Thanks for the idea of dual monitoring.

We will begin to monitor both water and air temp....hmmm, slunds like and
indoor/outdoor thermometer might do the trick!

Any thoughts baout why they start and stop at different times in the
evening/night?

Old 26-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Bill

Do you mean when they start in spring or when they start and stop in the
course of a few minutes?

---

Old 26-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:46:35 -0500, K30a wrote:

Bullfrogs usually
breed when air temperatures are about 77F and water temperatures are
between 68F and 89F.

Our water temps are in that range, the lower part, but air temps have
yet to reach mid-70s, yet yesterday I saw several bullfrog tads in my
back pond. The grown bullfrogs are sitting on the bank every day but
haven't yet started their deep throating. (calls!)

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Old 26-04-2003, 08:08 PM
K30a

Cybe wrote yet yesterday I saw several bullfrog tads in my
back pond.

Were they fairly well developed tadpoles? An inch long as compared to emerging
taddies from the egg?
Bullfrog tadpoles will winter over and then change
the following spring. Again, all temperature (and I'll be food) dependent.
Greenfrog tads will also winter over.
The adult bullfrogs will try and eat their babies both in tad and emerging frog
form. I had thousands of eggs laid and the following year I found one large
taddie.

k30a
Old 26-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

I am thinking about at night. Sometimes they go on to midnight or more.
Other times they stop after as little as an hour. Reason?

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
m...

Old 26-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Bill

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message . ..
I am thinking about at night. Sometimes they go on to midnight or more.
Other times they stop after as little as an hour. Reason?

Ah. That's probably weather.

If you were talking about more frequent variations it might have been
threat communications.

---

Old 26-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:59:00 -0500, K30a wrote:

Cybe wrote yet yesterday I saw several bullfrog tads in my back
pond.

Were they fairly well developed tadpoles? An inch long as compared
to emerging taddies from the egg?

Yes, they were just about an inch. no sign of feets, though.

Bullfrog tadpoles will winter over and then change the following
spring. Again, all temperature (and I'll be food) dependent.
Greenfrog tads will also winter over. The adult bullfrogs will try
and eat their babies both in tad and emerging frog form. I had
thousands of eggs laid and the following year I found one large
taddie.

k30a

No kidding? Over winter? I love this group! Always something to learn!

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 26-04-2003, 10:34 PM
K30a

Sometimes they go on to midnight or more.
Other times they stop after as little as an hour. Reason?

Okay, I'll take a guess. All the male frogs
found their lady loves and once the earth moved
and the stars came out they laid around smoking little cigarettes, just like in
the movies with music, say One Enchanted Evening, playing in the background.

Or maybe a temperature shift, a rain storm is coming, a predator is sniffing
around, the ladies
all have headaches, neighbor cat on the prowl,
they ran out of wine and cheese, the ladies who
showed up are as ugly as frogs.

k30a - under the influence of a second day
of the BAND practice this week, you
get a little addled.

Old 26-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Nedra

spurt ... roflol! Why does your rendition of froggie-love
always take me by
surprise!? Now I gotta clean the screen again......

Nedra

Old 04-05-2003, 12:56 AM
~ jan

On 26 Apr 2003 17:59:00 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

Bullfrog tadpoles will winter over and then change
the following spring. Again, all temperature (and I'll be food) dependent.

Some folks will do anything for their frogs. ) K30, I really think this
sacrifice is not necessary, what would we do without you? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 04-05-2003, 01:08 AM
K30a

oops!!!
that's I'll bet food!!

k30a

triggers for death of annuals gary croft United Kingdom 1 30-04-2006 11:02 PM
frog/toad eggs wanted Judi9000 Ponds 3 16-11-2003 12:22 AM
Toad or Frog? LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Ponds 6 24-07-2003 02:13 AM
basic botony question: What triggers perrenials to begin regrowing? Adam Schwartz Gardening 9 26-04-2003 01:44 PM
Frog, toad and newt spawn Annabel United Kingdom 9 08-03-2003 06:45 PM