Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered User

Default building a bog garden in an existing concrete pond

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me

I have an old rectangular stone/concrete sided, and clay bottomed spring fed pond in my garden, about 25 by 15 m and around 1 m deep. The pond drains out over a small sluice gate, so the level is kept constant throughout the year. The sides of the pond extend up about 50cm above the level of the water. The previous owner cleared out a load of silt a few years ago, and this is now sitting next to the pond, a pile about a metre high, covering around 30 sq m.

My question is this, how could I build a retaining structure in the pond to hold a portion of this silt so that I could have a bog garden in it. Is this even a halfway sensible idea ?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 10:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

cumulus wrote:
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me

I have an old rectangular stone/concrete sided, and clay bottomed
spring fed pond in my garden, about 25 by 15 m and around 1 m deep. The
pond drains out over a small sluice gate, so the level is kept constant
throughout the year. The sides of the pond extend up about 50cm above
the level of the water. The previous owner cleared out a load of silt a
few years ago, and this is now sitting next to the pond, a pile about a
metre high, covering around 30 sq m.

My question is this, how could I build a retaining structure in the
pond to hold a portion of this silt so that I could have a bog garden
in it. Is this even a halfway sensible idea ?

Thanks

I am converting an older diving pool into a "Natural Swimming Pool"
http://www.totalhabitat.com/P&P.html
using about 1/3 of the shallow end of the pool as an aquatic plant
(veggie) filter. It is a wetter, deeper bog garden. I am building a
porous wall across the pool that ends a few inches from the water level
top. There are many ways, cinder block, stone, wood, even close knit
fencing, to build this wall depending on purpose and $. Since water
pressure will be about equal on both sides, durability rather than
strength (unless you empty your pond for cleaning) is important.

You are on the cutting edge of American ponds, even tho they have been
doing it for years in Europe.

Chip
Old 07-04-2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.ponds

Tranny Tynk wrote:
On Apr 4, 4:11 pm, Chip wrote:
cumulus wrote:
[...]

Chip- Hide quoted text -

Cutting edge my ass.nothing high tech or cutting edge about buillding
any pond be it with a liner or filling in the swimming hole or placing
a plastic preform...............Certainly not rocket siciencer by any
means, since it seems so many idiots in the moderated forum have
"mastered" it, any babbling fool should be able to do it.

Read the damn message. It was about the EU cutting edge "Natural
Swimming Pools" using large vegetation filtering rather then chemicals
to purify the water. Not about converting pools. It takes some
intelligence to read for content and not just to jump to some half-assed
conclusions. Sorry about your lack.

Chip