Old 26-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Chester Deja

Default Building a New Bog Addition To My Pond-Need Advise

We have a large 2 year old 55'x 35' pond. Our next project will be to
make a bog. The landscape is such that I can channel the rain flow
into a wet area and have it overflow into a stream which leads to my
pond. (stream will be run by 5000 gph pump). My pond has no fresh
source of water besides the rain and my garden hose when it gets low.

My concern is will the organic matierials I use to make the bog be
detrimental to the pond. I plan on going to Walmart and buying a
bunch of peat moss (on sale!) to use in the bog. I will also use sand
and maybe a little regular dirt. I am digging my bog trenchs and
filling it with liner with a few holes punched in it then filling it
with the bog dirt mix. Next year I will start planting the bog
plants.

I am sure there will not be a whole lot of overflow into the pond. If
we keep getting 2 inches of rain like last night that could cause
problems if the bog is putting out something it is not suppose to.
With that big of a pond I am not sure I have to worry too. The plants
in the pond are still getting established too as are the gold fish
(with their new babies) and millions of minnows.

Any dos/don't appreciated.

I have no photos up from this year but here are photos from last year
and the year befo

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ric...=/a680&.src=ph
Old 26-08-2004, 08:46 PM
San Diego Joe

"Chester Deja" wrote:

[...]

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ric...eQG&.dir=/a680
&.src=ph

Chester,

I try NOT to let rain overflow into your pond. The primary problem as I see
it, is runoff that contains pesticides, herbicides and who knows what else.
There are enough uncertainties in ponding.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 27-08-2004, 01:30 AM
RichToyBox

The bog that you are building is designed to make a very acid semi-moist
environment for bog plants. The runoff would be acid, but the size of your
pond is such that the small amount of acid generated by the bog would not be
a problem.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

om...

Old 27-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Crashj

On 26 Aug 2004 12:20:23 -0700, (Chester Deja)
wrote:

We have a large 2 year old 55'x 35' pond. Our next project will be to
make a bog.

I have no photos up from this year but here are photos from last year
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ric...=/a680&.src=ph

And you come here asking for help. Hole-y cow, you have a pond the
size of Lake Michigan! I felt so proud of my 500 gallons, and you
probably leak that much in a week. I think you need more catfish . . .
8-)
Seriously, that is an amazing setup and you should be proud of your
designs. Best of luck with it all.

--
Crashj

Old 27-08-2004, 09:45 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 26 Aug 2004 12:20:23 -0700, (Chester Deja) wrote:

We have a large 2 year old 55'x 35' pond. Our next project will be to
make a bog. snip
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ric...=/a680&.src=ph

I would not attach the bog to pond, the tannins will turn the water
brown... especially with peat moss. The few people I know of that have done
a bog, set them up near but not connecting to the pond.

Are you using any filtration (other than the pond itself) water movement,
on the big pond? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 27-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Chester Deja

And you come here asking for help. Hole-y cow, you have a pond the
size of Lake Michigan! I felt so proud of my 500 gallons, and you
probably leak that much in a week. I think you need more catfish . . .
8-)
Seriously, that is an amazing setup and you should be proud of your
designs. Best of luck with it all.

:-) We can't believe it ourselves. All designed off the top of my
head and still going. It is about half done. Got the bog, gazebo
area and beach/patio and finally the trench left to go.

Yes it does 'leak' alot. I mean when it rains hard the runoff flows
for up to 2 days - with no more rain/input into the pond.

I really should put up to date pictures up.
Old 27-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Chester Deja

I try NOT to let rain overflow into your pond. The primary problem as I see
it, is runoff that contains pesticides, herbicides and who knows what else.
There are enough uncertainties in ponding.

I totally agree and I was not going to. Where the bog is concerned-
into the design I plan on making the rain water go through much
vegitation before it gets into the pond. The bog is the first of 3
vegetation filters I will have.

I also do not use pesticides around the pond and also have designed
the pond with underground drainage trenches that sucessfully drains
the water away from the pond. Under the walkways are drainage
trenches and also at the top of the pond is a drainage trench that
funnels the water away from the pond into the drainage trenches. The
beach is actually part of the drainage trench too. The rest will be
flowed into the bog area and that is what I have yet to do.

So far the only water that makes it into the pond is rain.

Rick

Old 27-08-2004, 11:07 PM
San Diego Joe

"Chester Deja" wrote:

[...]

Oops, sorry. I had somehow gotten the impression that runoff would enter the
bog and from there the pond.

Old 30-08-2004, 04:01 AM
Chester Deja

I would not attach the bog to pond, the tannins will turn the water
brown... especially with peat moss. The few people I know of that have done
a bog, set them up near but not connecting to the pond.

Are you using any filtration (other than the pond itself) water movement,
on the big pond? ~ jan

Interesting - I wondered about that. I could just use the overflow
from the bog into the stream only in severe rain circumstances - there
will be no other place for it to go. Thus the water would be
partially fresh plus go through the vegie filtration system I will
have.

I have no filtration right now. I have the 5000 gph pump just
circulating the water and a 3000 gph pump going up into where the bog
area will be and running down a small stream. I have pvc running from
the pond near the 5000 gph pump up to the bog area. It will
eventually be used to run the stream/waterfalls with the 5000 gph
pump. The 3000 gph pump I will then use it to circulate the water.

Rick