Savio Filter and Pump Box Full of Bullfrogs

Old 27-01-2015, 01:56 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Savio Filter and Pump Box Full of Bullfrogs

Here is a funny one. Having a new problem this Winter. Our pond is about 10 years old, 2200 gallon, with lot's of vegetation growing around it. Obvioulsly the frogs like it, as we have had Bullfrogs since the pond was three years old. In past Winters, I may find a Frog once or twice all Winter in the leaf basket. Not sure why, but this year, I am getting 5-8 Frogs a week in my pump compartment. I can tell when they are in there, as they partially clog the pump. So, start the project of pulling them out one by one, and transfering them to the upper pond that feeds the main pond with the pump box and is a good 40 feet away.

They keep leaving the upper pond and coming down and getting in the pump box almost daily. Moreso on Warmer days of course.

Has anyone else had this strange problem? I cannot figure out why they would want to keep getting in to the pump area, it cannot be comfortable in there for them I would think with all the pump action going on, and them getting stuck to the pump.

Our main concern, we do not want the frogs to get hurt. we have come to love them over the years, and some even have names they have been here so long. We are having a warmer Winter, so they do not seem to be hibernating normally.

Bill in Tacoma, WA