Old 08-07-2003, 11:39 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Lily Problem

Yesterday at the Master Gardener Clinic a fellow dropped off some sick
looking lily leaves. I, being their closest thing to a water gardening
expert, was called in. I took along my Pond Doctor book, and am guessing it
might be crown rot, but here are the symptoms:

Pads first get brown veins, then the borders become brown and move inward.
The flower turn brown before hitting the surface and rots (why I think it's
crown rot). Supposedly the plant is in its 2nd year and didn't do this last
year. At this time I don't have any more information till he calls me back.

Seems I need a form for water plants that at least lets me know where
they're getting their water and any water treatments, what the plants are
potted in, and a host of other questions.

So rec.ponders, have any of you had this problem and what was the outcome?
Thanks, ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 09-07-2003, 08:32 AM
adavisus

Water Lily crown rot (root rot) is a fungus that affects the rhisome,
you can't identify it from the lilypads or the buds. To confirm crown
root you would have to examine the rhisome to confirm the condition
for sure.

If it was root rot you would have to empty the pond of everything,
destroy all by burning and put several doses of bleach in the pond to
disinfect it and stand some chance of being able to grow water lilies
in the pond.

There are other ways to eliminate lily root rot, folk in the trade can
access some particularly vicious and dangerous chemicals, altogether
too risky for most folk to even think about risking

regards, Andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps
---------------------------oo------------------------------

Old 09-07-2003, 10:07 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I told him to check the rhizome, if it smelled putrid along with being
mushy, that it was crown rot and then I directed him to The Pond Doctor for
treatment.

We'll see if he gets back to me or what. He mentioned not being able to
keep fish alive, doing 100% water changes and scrubbing the pond, etc. So
there are a lot of poor ponding practices to correct and since he was
calling me back, rather than me being able to call him when it was
convenient for me, as I almost always have to be somewhere else when the
phone rings, I just didn't have time to discuss anything beyond the lily.
If he gets the book, that alone may solve some of his man-made ponding
problems.

Thanks for the confirmation. ~ jan