Old 27-07-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Victorian kitchen / garden BBC TV series; 2 questions.

I'm guessing that a fair number people may remember these 3 similarly
titled successful BBC TV series:

The Victorian kitchen garden, with Harry Dodson & Peter Thoday,
The Victorian kitchen, also with Ruth Mott,
and finally, The Victorian flower garden, with HD & PT

I've got 2 quite specific questions about these programmes, which could
be difficult to answer.

Firstly, I've just finished watching all 3 series (released on DVD &
Video) I remember really clearly a scene with Ruth Mott and Alison the
scullery maid in the Victorian kitchen series, where Ruth Mott drew a
kind of pencil line on to the back of Alison's legs to create a very
cheap stocking leg effect. (For some weird reason, it just sticks in
my mind) However, this scene does not appear in the video that I've
just finished watching. Is this because they made a second series of
this particular kitchen series, or was it in some kind of one-off TV
program about cooking during the war period (I seem to remember that it
had some kind of WW2 theme, although I could be mistaken.)

Secondly, does anyone remember that one-off program that featured the
head gardener, Harry Dodson, enjoying a glass of wine and chatting to
his Canadian fans in an outdoors location, possibly even near that
spectacular waterfall location, Niagra Falls? Did this program include
any return visit back to the garden itself?

Mainly curious really, regards, dnw.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:21 PM

I can answer one of my own questions..
The series was called "The Wartime Kitchen and Garden"

(Unfortunately, it does not appear to be available on either video or
dvd, at the moment anyway..)

Old 02-08-2005, 04:04 PM

If anyone has got this taped off the telly, I would pay anything
reasonable just to borrow the tape/s for a fortnight.
Thanks, regards, dnw.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Chris S

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure some of these are being repeated
/ have been repeated on satellite telly at the moment.

Chris S

Old 03-08-2005, 01:16 PM

Chris, do you know what Sky channel it is on please?

Old 04-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Chris S

wrote in message
oups.com...
Chris, do you know what Sky channel it is on please?

I'd be lying if I said - it's one of those I've surfed upon, rested a while
and moved on! infuriates the wife.

Chris S

Old 24-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Hello,
My name is Alison Arnison. I was the Scullery Maid in the 'Victorian Kitchen' Series. I am now living in Canada and have 3 children. I cannot believe it has been around 20 years since we filmed the series!! I am still in touch with Ruth and some of the crew. It was very sad to hear of Harry Dobson passing a few years ago. He was a very very nice man and it was an honour to work with him.
It is fantastic that people are still watching all the 'Victorian' Series programs. I wish they were all available on DVD and easier to find however!

Best Regards, Alison.
Old 25-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Registered User

[...]

As you already answered the first question about The Wartime Kitchen & Garden I'll move on to answer the second. The programme in which Harry Dodson visted Canada was called Harry's Big Adventure and you can find a little bit of information bout it at this url: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0879815/
Searching "Harry's Big Adventure" or "Harry Dodson" in a search engine may yield more info.

I have the series The Victorian Kitchen Garden on DVD and the book, I just love the series as do my younger daughters. I also loved the Wartime Kitchen & Garden which featured a completely different assistant helping Ruth Mott and was not Alison Arnison who played the part of Scullery Maid excellently in The Victorian Kitchen Garden. Let's hope they release The Wartime Kitchen & Garden onto dvd soon, in the meantime UKTV Garden's shows both series once or twice a year, the Wartime K&G was on in Feb this year.

Ruth Mott also did a one off Christmas programme from her home & village in Berkshire which we've had on video for years now. The VT is getting quite old and is watched at times through the year and always in the weeks up to Christmas. it's a lovely programme and very festive with lots of Christmas songs with the old radio sound, great recipes and the 'Christmas in a village atmosphere' If you can catch it repeated it's well worth seeing.

It was lovely to see Alison's post here!

Best wishes, Val in Lancashire, England.