preparing the lawn for winter?

Old 15-09-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jd

Default preparing the lawn for winter?

Hi there,
I have a South facing garden and as the days get shorter and the
shadows grow longer, the garden spends much of the time in shade
thanks to trees in neighbouring gardens. The ground becomes very damp
and compressed but when winter ends I tend to spend the first few
weeks of Spring feeding the lawn and giving it a light cover of sand
and top soil and by summertime, it is again in not bad condition.
However, is there anything I can do now that might help it through
Autumn and the initial weeks of Winter?
Many thanks,
JD

Old 16-09-2007, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

a spot of aeration isn't a bad idea and a dressing of winter feed
afterwards to promote root growth, wood ash is good and handy if you are
burning down woody prunings . If the weather continues to be warm I won't
be putting the mower away just yet.
Derek
"jd" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,
I have a South facing garden and as the days get shorter and the
shadows grow longer, the garden spends much of the time in shade
thanks to trees in neighbouring gardens. The ground becomes very damp
and compressed but when winter ends I tend to spend the first few
weeks of Spring feeding the lawn and giving it a light cover of sand
and top soil and by summertime, it is again in not bad condition.
However, is there anything I can do now that might help it through
Autumn and the initial weeks of Winter?
Many thanks,
JD

A spot of aeration isn't a bad idea don't leave the worms all the work and
a dressing of winter feed afterwards to promote root growth, wood ash is
good and handy if you are burning down woody prunings . If the weather
continues to be warm I won't be putting the mower away just yet the lawn has
put on 2-3 inches in the last week!
Derek