Old 21-09-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose Cuttings - What now? (bit long)

Hi all

In 1989 I was given a rose by my grandmother which I planted against the
back wall of our first house.
When we moved into rented accommodation in 2001, I transplanted the rose to
my parents' house.
It has stayed there since, growing weaker with each passing year. I doubt
it would survive another move.
For sentimental reasons, I wanted to propogate cuttings (before the parent
gave up the ghost) and plant these in the garden of our current house.
I have no idea of the name of the rose - it is a climber with sharp thorns
and red blooms.

Recently my mother gave me 2 of the blooms with quite a lot of "stem".
As usual, once the blooms had died, I dually potted two of the stems up and
it looks like these have taken as there are new shoots forming.

Finally - the question...........

What should I do with these cuttings?
They are currently on a window cill where I am concerned that they will grow
weak and "gangly".
I do not have a green house.
Should I be placing these outdoors to harden or is that dangerous
considering the turn in the weather?

As it has taken many attempts to strike these cuttings, I am eager to take
whatever measures are necessary to ensure their survival.
Also I am interested to know how close to the original plant these offspring
will be - will the plant change growth habit and turn to bush form?

Any experienced comment appreciated

TIA

Phil

Old 21-09-2007, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
[...]

This late in the year I normally protect any new cuttings over winter and do
not risk the roots freezing, a cool window sill is probably your best bet,
yes the will be a bit straggly but if alive that can be remedied next
season!

If they are cuttings they will be exactly the same as the parent plant so
long as the bit used was typical of it (which in your case we know it was as
you had the flowers)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-09-2007, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

This late in the year I normally protect any new cuttings over winter and
do
not risk the roots freezing, a cool window sill is probably your best bet,
yes the will be a bit straggly but if alive that can be remedied next
season!

If they are cuttings they will be exactly the same as the parent plant so
long as the bit used was typical of it (which in your case we know it was
as
you had the flowers)

Thanks Charlie

The only cool window sill I have is in the garage and this doesn't get too
much light.
Will this be OK or should I be looking to store it outside in some kind of
shelter?

Phil

Old 23-09-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

[...]

You really need reasonable light so outside under a shelter should be better
than a dark garage window sill.

Old 24-09-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

You really need reasonable light so outside under a shelter should be
better
than a dark garage window sill.

Thanks Charlie

I'll try to arrange something before the cuttings go gangley.

Phil