Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Old 23-02-2008, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.

My friend is not keen to use parafin as we do, but has no electricity
that far along the garden.

--
Gemini Bioscapes
Plants & more on Ebay
Old 23-02-2008, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom

GemBio wrote:
Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.

If you add thermal mass (usually water) to the north side of your
greenhouse, this will absorb heat during the day and release it at night.
Google "solar greenhouse" for more details.

Tom

Old 24-02-2008, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom wrote:
GemBio wrote:
Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.

If you add thermal mass (usually water) to the north side of your
greenhouse, this will absorb heat during the day and release it at
night.
Google "solar greenhouse" for more details.
Tom

"Mogga" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:07:50 +0000,
(GemBio) wrote:

Tom, I'm well aware of thermal mass heating. However I can't see my
friend having that setup in the garden. Could be an idea for something
else tho. Thanks

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...
JW

Not from the moustache bloke, but
http://www.hobby-greenhouse.com/FreeSolar.html
Jenny

Old 24-02-2008, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom

Mogga wrote:

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...

Dick Strawbridge? Yes he made a solar sump/sink filled with broken glass
and blew hot air down through it IIRC.

Tom

Old 24-02-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:28:13 -0000, "Tom" wrote:

Mogga wrote:

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...

Dick Strawbridge? Yes he made a solar sump/sink filled with broken glass
and blew hot air down through it IIRC.

Tom

That's the chap. They have a forum on their site
http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/...forum.php?f=24
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 24-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Location: Bedfordshire

Square black water containers under the staging (the larger the better) should act as a good thermal heating mass, but of course only effective when the sun shines, so on the days when it's dull and miserable and then clears for the night it may not be effective just when you need it.