Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aminopyralid in manure

I'm sorry if this subject has already been addressed but I was told
yesterday evening at a Flower Show meeting that havoc has been wreaked
among a number of the growers (esp. of vegetables) whose crops have been
ruined.

I was just about to place an order with one of our friendly local
farmers when I heard that "his" manure was probably responsible for the
problem here in local NW Dorset.

See link:

http://www.allotment.org.uk/garden-d...inopyralid-in-
manure/

Has anyone experienced this problem? It seems that this surfaced in
2007/8. Originally mention was made of duration in the soil of "a number
of years" but nothing more specific has been suggested, other than Dow
Chemicals reference to 6 months which seems optimistic in the extreme.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote
I'm sorry if this subject has already been addressed but I was told
yesterday evening at a Flower Show meeting that havoc has been wreaked
among a number of the growers (esp. of vegetables) whose crops have been
ruined.

I was just about to place an order with one of our friendly local farmers
when I heard that "his" manure was probably responsible for the problem
here in local NW Dorset.

See link:

http://www.allotment.org.uk/garden-d...inopyralid-in-
manure/

Has anyone experienced this problem? It seems that this surfaced in
2007/8. Originally mention was made of duration in the soil of "a number
of years" but nothing more specific has been suggested, other than Dow
Chemicals reference to 6 months which seems optimistic in the extreme.

About 18 months ago we had a huge lot of (cow?) manure dumped on our
allotment site, grab lorry hoisted it over the fence, and a number of
gardeners used it despite my warnings to test it first. (Just plant a couple
of young tomato plants in it and wait) Despite it being over 6 months before
being used by some they all suffered loss of potato and tomato crops
especially, deformed strange looking plants. Brassicas seemed not to be
bothered too much. Recently I have noticed others have started to use the
contaminated manure as they feel the chemical will have leached out by now,
with no rain this year?
We buy our manure from a stables/farm that let it rot for over 12 months and
have used them for years, £12. per trailer load delivered, but other plot
holders seem to object to paying for good manure of known quality that you
can use immediately.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Recently I have noticed others have started to use the contaminated
manure as they feel the chemical will have leached out by now, with no
rain this year?

It still gives rise to contorted tomatoes. I know 2 people who had some
but left it for a full12 months and used it this year trialling
tomatoes. They were distorted at first but after the first one or two
sets of fruit the leaves seemed to be growing okay, maybe the plants had
got their roots through the manure and into the proper soil?
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

I'm sorry if this subject has already been addressed but I was told
yesterday evening at a Flower Show meeting that havoc has been wreaked
among a number of the growers (esp. of vegetables) whose crops have been
ruined.

Still? Or past?

Still.

The sale *and use* of aminopyralid was banned two years ago because of
this problem.

Janet

Sorry, that is wrong. There was a suspension (not a ban) of use and
permit issued in July 2008 however it was reintroduced in certain areas
including Scotland and the SW of England (where I live) earlier this
year.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2010/0...d-effects-not-
due-to-2010-use.htm

Do you really see Dow Chemicals lying down on something like this.
They'll change packaging and perhaps Users Instructions but I suspect it
will not be totally withdrawn until further volume of evidence is
gathered.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Bob Hobden writes
Recently I have noticed others have started to use the contaminated manure
as they feel the chemical will have leached out by now, with no rain this
year?

It still gives rise to contorted tomatoes. I know 2 people who had some
but left it for a full12 months and used it this year trialling tomatoes.
They were distorted at first but after the first one or two sets of fruit
the leaves seemed to be growing okay, maybe the plants had got their roots
through the manure and into the proper soil?

But would you want to eat any fruit off them? I certainly would not.
That's one of the main reasons we have an allotment, so we know what's in/on
our food.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-08-2010, 03:00 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
I'm sorry if this subject has already been addressed but I was told
yesterday evening at a Flower Show meeting that havoc has been wreaked
among a number of the growers (esp. of vegetables) whose crops have been
ruined.

I was just about to place an order with one of our friendly local
farmers when I heard that "his" manure was probably responsible for the
problem here in local NW Dorset.

See link:

Testing For Aminopyralid in Manure
manure/

Has anyone experienced this problem? It seems that this surfaced in
2007/8. Originally mention was made of duration in the soil of "a number
of years" but nothing more specific has been suggested, other than Dow
Chemicals reference to 6 months which seems optimistic in the extreme.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Hi Gopher,
Aminopyralid was created to kill Ragwort on pasture land, this herb is deadly when ingested by animals and or humans. It attacks the liver, however by the time that symptoms show it is too late to do anything about it.

The company which produced this product(Dow Chemicals) were the subject of a number of court cases. They were accused of putting the product on the market with minimal research back up.

There is no definitive answer to the life of this product within the soil, however independent researchers say that it residual for a minimum of 3 to 5 years.

I would not attempt to eat any crop that was infected by this product, it is I believe toxic and detrimental to all life forms.

It is now back on the market again apparently in a modified form, However I wont be using manure or commercial compost on my plot ever again!

Big company high priced lawyers, same old result they win!

uriel13
Old 15-08-2010, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , uriel13
writes

'Testing For Aminopyralid in Manure' (http://tinyurl.com/38adhcr)
[...]

I'm afraid that's my feeling too.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 18-08-2010, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article , uriel13.6dcfae6
says...
I would not attempt to eat any crop that was infected by this product,
it is I believe toxic and detrimental to all life forms.

You're misinformed. Clearly, aminopyralid was not deadly to the farmed
livestock who ate the sprayed pasture, or the hay made from it.
Aminopyralid also reached vegetable gardens via straw used in mulches;
IOW, it was used as a selective weedkiller in straw-producing cereal
crops (without killing the lifeforms which ate the cereals).

Janet

There seems to be a lot of misinformation on this subject, as you are
aware! One wonders why you mount such a spirited defence of this
product.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 18-08-2010, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:03:34 +0100, Gopher wrote:

In message ,
Janet writes
In article , uriel13.6dcfae6
says...
I would not attempt to eat any crop that was infected by this product,
it is I believe toxic and detrimental to all life forms.

You're misinformed. Clearly, aminopyralid was not deadly to the farmed
livestock who ate the sprayed pasture, or the hay made from it.
Aminopyralid also reached vegetable gardens via straw used in mulches;
IOW, it was used as a selective weedkiller in straw-producing cereal
crops (without killing the lifeforms which ate the cereals).

Janet

There seems to be a lot of misinformation on this subject, as you are
aware! One wonders why you mount such a spirited defence of this
product.

Seen on Dutch TV yesterday. How to make your own compost accelerator and how
much a man can make at a time. He did turn his back to camera.

.... with typical Dutch modesty :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!