Twin-wall polycarbonate - breather tape

Old 24-07-2010, 05:34 AM

Unhappy Twin-wall polycarbonate - breather tape

Hello. I'm new to this forum, but am a longstanding gardening enthusiast.

I have experienced a problem with the installation of twin-wall polycarbonate panels in my small greenhouse, and I wondered if anyone else has the same problem. I was spurred on by Bunny Guinness’s article in The Telegraph, 10 Nov 2009, extolling the virtues of twin-wall polycarbonate panels to replace horticultural glass. During Spring this year, there were suddenly several suppliers selling polycarbonate online at very tempting prices. I plunged in and bought new panels, together with the aluminium tape and breather tape for sealing top and bottom cut ends respectively. I replaced all the roof panels of my greenhouse, and all seemed well. However, less than 3 months later, the breather tape has come unstuck on all panels, allowing debris and mould to start moving up, inside the channels.

The supplier denies hearing of anyone else having this problem. Please can anyone throw any light on why this breather, ‘anti-dust’ tape has failed to do its job?
Old 24-07-2010, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Twin-wall polycarbonate - breather tape

On 24/07/2010 05:34, MrsTrellis wrote:
[...]

My reply is not very helpful I'm afraid, in that the same thing happened to me when building a car port,
I suspect however that part of the condensation/debris that occupies some of the channels came from an
inadequate seal on the centre fixing buttons which I had to use because the sheets were quite wide.
I've just lived with it, however I can appreciate that a clean car port roof is not as important
as a clean greenhouse roof.
Regards
Don

Old 24-07-2010, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
MrsTrellis

The purpose of the breather tape is to allow the air in the panels to
expand & contract but to keep insects out & drain any condensation
out. This tape is not weather proof it is intended to go beneath a
plastic trim.
I too had this problem. I got round it by fitting weatherpoof tape to
the bottom edge and sticking a few pinholes in it.Seems to be OK at
the moment.
I had plastic trims but the snow just slides downand pushes them off.
Old 24-07-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by harry View Post
On 24 July, 05:34, MrsTrellis
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies. So, basically, the breather tape needs something to hold it in place. Very irritating that the supplier's website omitted the plastic trims in the diagrams for fitting the panels. There was no mention that retaining trims were required.
Can anyone suggest a safe way to clean up the channels before putting on some new barrier? Cotton wool 'buds' dipped in clean water?
Thanks
Old 25-07-2010, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 July, 23:04, MrsTrellis
wrote:
harry;895281 Wrote:

On 24 July, 05:34, MrsTrellis
wrote:-
[...]

MrsTrellis- Hide quoted text -

Hah, You have a problem there! I had to take panels off & fill them
up/soaked with bleach. Then hosed them out. Still didn't get rid of
it all. Panels only go on one way up BTW. The outside is UV
proofed. They will crack up eventually if you fit them the wrong way.
Old 25-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by harry View Post
On 24 July, 23:04, MrsTrellis
wrote:
harry;895281 Wrote:

On 24 July, 05:34, MrsTrellis
wrote:-
[...]

Thanks for that Harry. If the bleach did no harm to the plastic then that is helpful information. I do know that polycarbonate is 'stress-crack sensitive', ie contact with some chemicals/detergents/adhesives will cause cracking - just like fine crazing all over. I will soldier on!
Old 26-07-2010, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Wrong sort of breather tape possibly, or improper application of it to a
greasy surface so that the tape did not stick as well as it should. Mine
did eventually come unstuck after about 10 years. I used hitack
weatherproof aluminium tape on the ends that would be exposed to the
weather and the breather tape on the dry end under the aluminium ridge.

Regards,
Martin Brown