Old 20-04-2013, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default amphibians

Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a
local phenomenon or otherwise.

Steve

Old 20-04-2013, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a
local phenomenon or otherwise.

Steve

I just noticed the first spawn in the pond yesterday.. no sign of the
frogs.

Janet (Arran)
Old 20-04-2013, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Steve B wrote in news:MPG.2bdcae6b7bf75c011
@news.eternal-september.org:

Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a
local phenomenon or otherwise.

Steve

They are there, but as far as I know and see they are at the bottom of
ponds or under rocks respectivly. We have had a late winter and the
amphibians are privy to that. They know when to do the mating stuff.

Baz
Old 20-04-2013, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:54:29 +0100, Steve B
wrote:

Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a
local phenomenon or otherwise.

Frogs, newts and one toad so far, plus oodles of tadpoles here in
South Devon. Having said that the first frogs were a bit later
appearing this year and fewer in number than is usual.
--
rbel
Old 20-04-2013, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a
local phenomenon or otherwise.

Steve

Frog orgies here a while ago. A square yard or thereabouts of spawn is
now completely hatched.

But so far no sign of toads or newts this year.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!

Old 20-04-2013, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a
local phenomenon or otherwise.

Frogs, newts and one toad so far, plus oodles of tadpoles here in
South Devon. Having said that the first frogs were a bit later
appearing this year and fewer in number than is usual.

Newts are in our pond but we never see them unless the water level is
drastically reduced while searching for the elusive leak! We've had
lots of frogs, though not as many as in other years, judging by the
spawn. They arrived on mid Feb, iirc. We haven't had any toadspawn for
two or three years and we used to get masses of both. The spawn has
all disappeared now and while we think some got frosted at the top of
the clumps, we think the rest developed naturally.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-04-2013, 10:39 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B[_3_] View Post
Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a
local phenomenon or otherwise.

Steve
My frog spawn was 3-4 weeks late this year - appeared only about a week ago. Frogs became evident only a couple of days before that.

I have lots of last years baby newts who overwintered in the pond and a few adults - the adult newts arrive a bit later - they seem to time it so they can feed on the hatching frogspawn.

Found some frogspawn yesterday at about 350m on the NW of Ingleborough
__________________
Old 22-04-2013, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay.be9a1a7
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

'Steve B[_3_ Wrote:
;981386']Hi

I've not seen any frogs or newts this year and am wondering if this is a

local phenomenon or otherwise.

Steve

My frog spawn was 3-4 weeks late this year - appeared only about a week
ago. Frogs became evident only a couple of days before that.

I have lots of last years baby newts who overwintered in the pond and a
few adults - the adult newts arrive a bit later - they seem to time it
so they can feed on the hatching frogspawn.

Found some frogspawn yesterday at about 350m on the NW of Ingleborough

Thanks for the replies, it seems that the frogs are responding to the
late spring. Still cold and dry here, but nice in the sun.
I'll keep an eye out when the weather turns milder and wetter.

Steve