Old 23-04-2013, 08:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_10_] View Post
I don't recall seeing a coal tit here before, though we get great tits
and blue tits frequently. As you know, we saw long-tailed tits for the
first time last year (or maybe the year before, I lose track of time
here!) and we've seen bullfinches only occasionally. The blue tits
used to be here in huge numbers, then it declined and now seems to be
coming up again, at least a bit. Our most numerous birds are sparrows,
blackbirds, rooks, jackdaws and chaffinches. Last year, blackbird
numbers had dropped considerably but seem to be up again this year. We
often see or hear a woodpecker and there are lots of buzzards round
here too.
We were at Harlow Carr today and spent some time in the bird hide. Quite a good haul, including nuthatches, bullfinches and blackcaps. No long tailed tits, but we had a good few of the rest - great, blue, coal and marsh/willow - it's the only place I've seen the marsh/willow tit.

(Come to that, it's the only place I've seen redpolls and bramblings.)

And we saw a goldcrest in a conifer down by the streamside.