Old 21-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france
Default great tit

we have a great tit which keeps knocking its beak on two small windows in the attic and appears to be desperate to get inside. Its been around for a few days, regularly tapping away around 8.00am. I wondered if it might be trying to nest in here - but not at this time of year? We had the attic converted a couple of years ago when we came to live here permanently - until then the 'windows' were just openings. Does anyone know how long great tits live, and why this one is trying to get in?

many thanks in advance

jay jay
Old 21-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Paul D.Smith

we have a great tit which keeps knocking its beak on two small windows
in the attic and appears to be desperate to get inside.

[snip]

Is it tapping the window, the putty around the window or the wall around the
window? I've problems with birds stealing putty and the local sparrows are
pecking bits out of some rendering below a patio door. Either they are a
very patient crack thieving team trying to get in or there is some sort of
minerals that they get out of this.

Paul DS

Old 21-10-2004, 11:34 AM
ex WGS Hamm

"jay jay" wrote in message

we have a great tit which keeps knocking its beak on two small windows
in the attic and appears to be desperate to get inside. Its been
around for a few days, regularly tapping away around 8.00am. I
wondered if it might be trying to nest in here - but not at this time
of year? We had the attic converted a couple of years ago when we came
to live here permanently - until then the 'windows' were just openings.
Does anyone know how long great tits live, and why this one is trying to
get in?

It can see another great tit in the wiondow reflection and is attempting to
get it to go away out of it's territory. Birds often attack their reflection
mistakenly thinking they have a rival.

Old 21-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D.Smith
we have a great tit which keeps knocking its beak on two small windows
in the attic and appears to be desperate to get inside.

[snip]

Is it tapping the window, the putty around the window or the wall around the
window? I've problems with birds stealing putty and the local sparrows are
pecking bits out of some rendering below a patio door. Either they are a
very patient crack thieving team trying to get in or there is some sort of
minerals that they get out of this.

Paul DS
Hi Paul,

Its tapping the window and I forgot to mention, flying against it, so really trying to get in, almost as if it can't believe the glass is there

jay jay
Old 21-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , ex WGS Hamm
writes
It can see another great tit in the wiondow reflection and is attempting to
get it to go away out of it's territory. Birds often attack their reflection
mistakenly thinking they have a rival.

We once had regular visits from a couple of red legged partridges. The
male decided to attack the car. It went frantic trying to kill the other
one it saw in it!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 21-10-2004, 01:59 PM
shazzbat

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"jay jay" wrote in message

we have a great tit which keeps knocking its beak on two small windows
in the attic and appears to be desperate to get inside. Its been
around for a few days, regularly tapping away around 8.00am. I
wondered if it might be trying to nest in here - but not at this time
of year? We had the attic converted a couple of years ago when we came
to live here permanently - until then the 'windows' were just openings.
Does anyone know how long great tits live, and why this one is trying to
get in?

It can see another great tit in the wiondow reflection and is attempting

get it to go away out of it's territory. Birds often attack their

reflection
mistakenly thinking they have a rival.

A place I worked many years ago had a regular visiting blackbird which used
to attack the reflections in the hubcaps on the cars in the car park (hub
caps were chrome then) One woman was so sympathetic she removed the hub caps
from her car.

Steve

Old 21-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Sam

"jay jay" wrote in message

Paul D.Smith Wrote:
[...]

I think the reflected rival theory is the most likely explanation.

Sam

Old 21-10-2004, 08:03 PM
JennyC

"jay jay" wrote in message

Paul D.Smith Wrote:
we have a great tit which keeps knocking its beak on two small
windows-in the attic and appears to be desperate to get inside.-

[snip]

Is it tapping the window, the putty around the window or the wall
around the window? I've problems with birds stealing putty and the local

sparrows
are pecking bits out of some rendering below a patio door. Either they are
a very patient crack thieving team trying to get in or there is some sort
of minerals that they get out of this.
Paul DS

Hi Paul,
Its tapping the window and I forgot to mention, flying against it, so

really trying to get in, almost as if it can't believe the glass is
there
jay jay

How about put some netting, net curtain, semi-transparent paper or something up
at the windows temporarily? It will then see that it's way if blocked and it
might give up :~)

Jenny

Old 21-10-2004, 10:54 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , ex WGS Hamm
writes
It can see another great tit in the wiondow reflection and is attempting

get it to go away out of it's territory. Birds often attack their

reflection
mistakenly thinking they have a rival.

We once had regular visits from a couple of red legged partridges. The
male decided to attack the car. It went frantic trying to kill the other
one it saw in it!

Hehe they don't call them 'bird brains' for nowt.
They really do seem to think it is another bird. Same reason us parrot
keepers put mirrors in the cage I suppose.

Old 21-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Cereus-validus.

What can one say other than:

SHOW US YOUR TITS!!!!

You might get some beads if you do!!!

Old 23-10-2004, 03:39 PM
David WE Roberts

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:20:53 +0100, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Sam
writes

snip
I think the reflected rival theory is the most likely explanation.

I agree. If it was wanting to eat the putty, it would eat the putty not
waste time tapping the window. It is well known and probably won't last
all that long, weeks rather than months! You could try putting something
close to the windows it prefers that would reduce the reflection though
it might well just move to the next window, and the next, and the

Picture of a cat?

Blue Tit Problem David Hill United Kingdom 14 20-10-2013 01:28 PM
Willow tit Sacha[_10_] United Kingdom 31 23-04-2013 03:39 PM
Cleaning out the Blue Tit's Box 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 3 21-06-2011 02:23 PM
Blue tit questions 'Mike' United Kingdom 12 05-12-2007 12:01 PM
Blue Tit activity 'Mike' United Kingdom 10 21-10-2007 07:14 PM