Old 02-12-2007, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Blue tit questions

Quite a few I am afraid.

Just outside the Patio doors, under the veranda and about 8 - 10 ft from
where I sit at the computer, we have an 'ornamental' tit box. I say
'ornamental' because it is a fancy thing looking like a house with fancy
pictures on it and 'Love Nest' just over the hole!!

We put this up for 'decoration' in the Spring and low and behold a Tit
showed interest, went inside and moved on.

We now have a Blue tit which investigated, tapped the hole from outside and
inside and now, every night just as it gets dusk, it pops in for the night.
Been doing this for over a week to our knowledge.

Doesn't bother about us, sitting here waiting for it, just inside, glass in
hand ;-) (Birdwatching with ALL the comforts)

Questions. Would this be male or female? Is it likely to nest in the Spring?
Is there anything I should do different to what I am doing now? (My instinct
is NO). I have a conventional RSPB nestbox in the hedges out of view. Can I
bring that out nearer or should I leave it where it is? I do pass a garage
near a main road with about 5 or 6 Tit boxes side by side. Is this correct?

Looking forward to some advice.

Many thanks

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

Just leave well alone Mike, if the Tits take a fancy to your box
they will nest in it.
I remember the first box I made, the Tits started pecking around
the hole and I thought they was making it bigger, so I cut the hole
bigger for them.
They left never to be seen again at that box.
I found out later they was marking there territory.
Made another box with smaller hole and they have nested there
every year since.

HTH
Wally

Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure that'll be the male. You may even see, as I did a few weeks
ago, a potential mate cleaning up after him if he leaves messes. Bonding is
a strange business! See http://www.mybitoftheplanet.com/ for detailed
narratives of BT nesting over the years,

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Quite a few I am afraid.

Just outside the Patio doors, under the veranda and about 8 - 10 ft from

Snip

Looking forward to some advice.

Many thanks

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters

If you had a camera inside your box, it would be easier to tell the sex of
your rooster ;-) My experience is that it has been a male bird that has
taken over the box and then uses it to try to attract a mate next spring.
Generally, they are messy little devils and crap in the box. If they do get
a mate, and they always have, she will then take over and roost inside but
not before she has religiously removed every dropping, one by one!

If it is more ornamental than practical, she will not accept this as a
'des-res' and find another mate/box. I shouldn't touch anything. Since BTs
are very territorial, I can't see the reason for a row of boxes for them.
I'd be more likely to suspect that the boxes at the garage have larger holes
and are designed to attract a community of sparrows who do nest close
together.

Good luck. I am still waiting for a rooster to occupy my new box which now
has a colour camera inside. I bought one of these and would thoroughly
recommend it.

http://www.handykam.com/shop-buy-pro...era-system.htm

You can read an excellent review of the box and camera he-

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/ht...bluetitcam.htm

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Dave Hall:- www.daviv.com Webcam & videos of badgers and foxes on our patio
and bluetits in their nestbox.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching, uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 2, 10:11 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
Quite a few I am afraid.

Just outside the Patio doors, under the veranda and about 8 - 10 ft from
where I sit at the computer, we have an 'ornamental' tit box. I say
'ornamental' because it is a fancy thing looking like a house with fancy
pictures on it and 'Love Nest' just over the hole!!

We put this up for 'decoration' in the Spring and low and behold a Tit
showed interest, went inside and moved on.

We now have a Blue tit which investigated, tapped the hole from outside and
inside and now, every night just as it gets dusk, it pops in for the night.

snip
Questions. Would this be male or female? Is it likely to nest in the Spring?

If the hole is too large, you may find that nesting Blue Tits will be
ejected by House Sparrows, should this site appeal to the latter.

Got to be good news, given the comparable states of the population of
these two species, so perhaps enlarge the hole to make sure the
Sparrows don't have a problem ;-))) Just kidding.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Dave wrote:

Good luck. I am still waiting for a rooster to occupy my new box which now
has a colour camera inside. I bought one of these and would thoroughly
recommend it.

Be warned - having a camera in a nest box can be very stressful!

I've put cameras in boxes and it's very exiting when a bird starts to
build a nest and lay eggs. The problems come when the eggs hatch and
there's a chick that's a little smaller than the rest. Over a few days
you see it struggling to get food, but is unable to compete with its
siblings. It's distressing to see it get weaker, with the adults not
being concerned, and eventually it goes missing because it's died and
the adults have disposed of it.

Jim Ford
Old 03-12-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Many thanks Wally , Dave, Jim and John M.

All your points are noted and I am now wondering if I should get some nest
boxes with bigger holes and put them elsewhere in the garden for the
Sparrows and one more technical question. If the Blue tit is male and makes
a mess in the box over the Winter, should I when it's back is turned, clear
it out in the early Spring or 'let nature' take it's course? Gut feeling is
let nature do it, it certainly seems to be doing well at the moment ;-))

Thanks folks

Mike

Old 03-12-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Ford wrote:
... It's distressing to see it get weaker, with the adults not
being concerned, and eventually it goes missing because it's died and
the adults have disposed of it.

As I reported here a few years ago, it's even worse when the dead chick is
largish and in rigor mortis and fails to co-operate with the ejection. Then,
I could see the parents were spending too much time trying to extract it so
I sneaked in when they were not looking and removed the corpse.

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

What diameter holes are we talking about here? I have quite a long garden
and it would be nice to attract some nesting birds in the Spring.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On 3/12/07 21:01, in article , "Topref"
wrote:

What diameter holes are we talking about here? I have quite a long garden
and it would be nice to attract some nesting birds in the Spring.

The RSPB has a web site that advises on attracting birds to your garden,
what kind of boxes to use etc. It's a good place to start, IMO.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-12-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

. uk...
wrote:

What diameter holes are we talking about here? I have quite a long garden
and it would be nice to attract some nesting birds in the Spring.

The RSPB has a web site that advises on attracting birds to your garden,
what kind of boxes to use etc. It's a good place to start, IMO.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Thanks Sacha. Have just ordered a booklet from them.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching, uk.rec.gardening

On 3 déc, 21:48, "'Mike'" wrote:
Many thanks Wally , Dave, Jim and John M.

All your points are noted and I am now wondering if I should get some nest
boxes with bigger holes and put them elsewhere in the garden for the
Sparrows and one more technical question. If the Blue tit is male and makes
a mess in the box over the Winter, should I when it's back is turned, clear
it out in the early Spring or 'let nature' take it's course? Gut feeling is
let nature do it, it certainly seems to be doing well at the moment ;-))

As a compromise you could throw in some of the powder used for
sanitizing bird-tables, though I would personally demount the box and
shake out any loose residues first.

As you are looking for all and any advice, try www.birdforum.net .
Select the "forums" tag and scroll down to " Garden Birds, Bird
Feeding and Nestboxes"

Old 05-12-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching, uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
What diameter holes are we talking about here? I have quite a long garden
and it would be nice to attract some nesting birds in the Spring.

The RSPB has a web site that advises on attracting birds to your garden,
what kind of boxes to use etc. It's a good place to start, IMO.

After that, go to the BTO website and order their booklet,
"Nestboxes".
You might consider joining the BTO at the same time ;-)

Blue Tit Problem David Hill United Kingdom 14 20-10-2013 01:28 PM
Willow tit Sacha[_10_] United Kingdom 31 23-04-2013 03:39 PM
Cleaning out the Blue Tit's Box 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 3 21-06-2011 02:23 PM
Blue Tit activity 'Mike' United Kingdom 10 21-10-2007 07:14 PM
great tit jay jay United Kingdom 10 23-10-2004 03:39 PM