Old 22-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Stafford area
Default Runner bean leaves eaten

(I think I posted this in the USA by mistake.) My runner bean leaves are getting chewed down to a stub - fairly sure it's not slugs as the plants are in individual hosta haloes which have always worked well before, plus no slime trails. Wondered if it was wood pigeons but still happened when I put netting over. No caterpillars on the undersides of the leaves. Is anyone else getting this? (My broad bean leaves have holes in too but not as badly.)
Old 22-05-2014, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Blenny" wrote

(I think I posted this in the USA by mistake.) My runner bean leaves are
getting chewed down to a stub - fairly sure it's not slugs as the plants
are in individual hosta haloes which have always worked well before,
plus no slime trails. Wondered if it was wood pigeons but still happened
when I put netting over. No caterpillars on the undersides of the
leaves. Is anyone else getting this? (My broad bean leaves have holes in
too but not as badly.)

If you are getting semicircular holes chewed in the edges of some leaves
then it's Pea & Bean Weevil. I've never heard of pigeons eating bean leaves
and larger things (deer and rabbits) would be stopped by the netting.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-05-2014, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Blenny" wrote

(I think I posted this in the USA by mistake.) My runner bean leaves are
getting chewed down to a stub - fairly sure it's not slugs as the plants
are in individual hosta haloes which have always worked well before,
plus no slime trails. Wondered if it was wood pigeons but still happened
when I put netting over. No caterpillars on the undersides of the
leaves. Is anyone else getting this? (My broad bean leaves have holes in
too but not as badly.)

If you are getting semicircular holes chewed in the edges of some leaves
then it's Pea & Bean Weevil. I've never heard of pigeons eating bean
leaves and larger things (deer and rabbits) would be stopped by the
netting.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Voles and mice will have a go, but my money is still on snails!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs