Old 03-03-2016, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drooping greenhouse

About 20 years old, we have a cedar greenhouse where the soil has crept up
on one side over the
lowest board and it is rotting, causing the whole structure to lean over
slightly.

Is there any way of resolving this? I can only think of propping up
the ridge with a pole and a couple of acrojacks to bring it back and take
the weight off the bottom whilst remedial action is applied.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339 wrote:
About 20 years old, we have a cedar greenhouse where the soil has crept up
on one side over the
lowest board and it is rotting, causing the whole structure to lean over
slightly.

Is there any way of resolving this? I can only think of propping up
the ridge with a pole and a couple of acrojacks to bring it back and take
the weight off the bottom whilst remedial action is applied.

I'd suggest posting in uk.d-i-y for this sort of hardware thing. A very
active group full of knowledgeable people.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 09:09:14 -0000, "gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339"
wrote:

About 20 years old, we have a cedar greenhouse where the soil has crept up
on one side over the
lowest board and it is rotting, causing the whole structure to lean over
slightly.

Is there any way of resolving this? I can only think of propping up
the ridge with a pole and a couple of acrojacks to bring it back and take
the weight off the bottom whilst remedial action is applied.

It sounds like your greenhouse foundations are on soft ground and one
side has sunk faster than the other. I had a DIY greenhouse like that
but I've now got one with a partial concrete base.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
About 20 years old, we have a cedar greenhouse where the soil has crept up
on one side over the
lowest board and it is rotting, causing the whole structure to lean over
slightly.
Is there any way of resolving this? I can only think of propping up
the ridge with a pole and a couple of acrojacks to bring it back and take
the weight off the bottom whilst remedial action is applied.

Are you sure it's not just settled on that side due to soft
foundations?

Not when the old wood comes away in handfuls if you do so much as to breathe
on it :-)

Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

About 20 years old, we have a cedar greenhouse where the soil has
crept up on one side over the
lowest board and it is rotting, causing the whole structure to lean
over slightly.

Is there any way of resolving this? I can only think of propping up
the ridge with a pole and a couple of acrojacks to bring it back and
take the weight off the bottom whilst remedial action is applied.

It sounds like your greenhouse foundations are on soft ground and one
side has sunk faster than the other. I had a DIY greenhouse like that
but I've now got one with a partial concrete base.

No, the wood has rotted away, I had one like this years ago, pulled it down
eventually and rebuilt it on a 3 course brick wall.
The bottom wooden rail rotted away on this too...

Old 08-03-2016, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
About 20 years old, we have a cedar greenhouse where the soil has crept up
on one side over the
lowest board and it is rotting, causing the whole structure to lean over
slightly.
Is there any way of resolving this? I can only think of propping up
the ridge with a pole and a couple of acrojacks to bring it back and take
the weight off the bottom whilst remedial action is applied.

Are you sure it's not just settled on that side due to soft
foundations?

Not when the old wood comes away in handfuls if you do so much as to breathe
on it :-)

Surely the glass would not allow it to subside so it must be the
foundations?

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 08-03-2016, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
About 20 years old, we have a cedar greenhouse where the soil has crept
up
on one side over the
lowest board and it is rotting, causing the whole structure to lean
over
slightly.
Is there any way of resolving this? I can only think of propping up
the ridge with a pole and a couple of acrojacks to bring it back and
take
the weight off the bottom whilst remedial action is applied.
Are you sure it's not just settled on that side due to soft
foundations?

Not when the old wood comes away in handfuls if you do so much as to
breathe
on it :-)

Surely the glass would not allow it to subside so it must be the
foundations?

Not sure what you mean, but as one side subsides due to the rotting
wooden base, then the distortion of the frame on that side causes the glass
to crack
and then the resultant distortion on the rest of the structure causes
further panes to crack.

_HOWEVER_ having just picked up the anniversary edition of Gardener's World,
and seen the insertion from the www.greenhousepeople.com inside, we've
decided to cut our losses and order an aluminium (aluminum for any Yanks
reading
this :-) ) replacement from their double discount offers.

..

Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339" wrote:

inside, we've
decided to cut our losses and order an aluminium (aluminum for any Yanks
reading

Not my fault if you Brits use alternate spellings, and the aluminum frame
would make a dandy counterpoise!

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68 0B
Old 09-03-2016, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gary Woods
writes
"gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339" wrote:

inside, we've
decided to cut our losses and order an aluminium (aluminum for any Yanks
reading

Not my fault if you Brits use alternate spellings, and the aluminum frame
would make a dandy counterpoise!

We don't use 'alternate' spellings (swapping between one spelling and
another). Ours are 'alternative' (ie 'not the way you spell it').

--
Ian

lavatera arborea in a container - drooping, drooping drooping [email protected] Gardening 2 04-07-2006 07:00 PM
Daffodils drooping Mceezee Gardening 2 02-04-2003 01:32 AM
drooping crocii - help Katharine Mill United Kingdom 6 15-03-2003 05:08 AM
Drooping Helleborus Fredgibson United Kingdom 1 21-02-2003 11:19 PM
Drooping Helleborus Jack United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 02:59 AM