Old 03-02-2017, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brush clearing

I have a patch of scrubby trees to clear. They're mostly quick-growing
sappy things, I don't recall exactly what, but a bit like elder or mountain
ash. The stems are maybe 2-3cm diameter and a couple of metres high.

There's enough of them and time is limited so I've been looking at power
tools. What would be a good tool for this? I think it might be a bit much
for a hedge trimmer but a chainsaw seems a bit too powerful - especially the
PPE needed.

Due to logistics petrol and mains electric aren't feasible, which leaves
battery powered. Also portability is an issue - most hedge trimmers are
about 80cm long which is a bit awkward to carry.

I see there are 'cordless secateurs'. Are these any good? Can they cope
with this kind of thickness?
I spied some Stihl ones that could do up to 45mm, a snip (ahem) at 1,200
pounds (without battery).

Then there are 'cordless shears', which look like mini hedge clippers. They
fulfill the size requirements, but look more for people trimming their
window boxes.

Next up I discovered reciprocating saws. They look more promising, though
I'm not sure how well they would like soft sappy things?

Or is it better to invest in a really good pair of manual secateurs - and
how would I find such a thing?

Thanks
Theo
Old 03-02-2017, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/17 00:38, Theo wrote:
[...]

What do you mean by "clear"? And how big is this patch?

If you simply cut the plants to near ground level they will resprout and
in a few years you will be back where you are now. It might be better to
consider getting the stumps ground out. You can hire a stump grinder
(not a "tiller"; it won't be powerful enough to deal with the trees'
roots). Perhaps it's better to contact a local tree surgeon to see if he
can do the job. That way there won't be any regrowth.

--

Jeff
Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2017 00:38, Theo wrote:

I have a patch of scrubby trees to clear. They're mostly quick-growing
sappy things, I don't recall exactly what, but a bit like elder or mountain
ash. The stems are maybe 2-3cm diameter and a couple of metres high.

What are you proposing to do to them?
Chop off and then spray off any regrowth from the roots?

If I was doing it then I'd go with a fork, mattock and a scaffold pole
and lever each one out with as much root as I could get.

There's enough of them and time is limited so I've been looking at power
tools. What would be a good tool for this? I think it might be a bit much
for a hedge trimmer but a chainsaw seems a bit too powerful - especially the
PPE needed.

A strimmer with a solid blade perhaps but also need right PPE.

Due to logistics petrol and mains electric aren't feasible, which leaves
battery powered. Also portability is an issue - most hedge trimmers are
about 80cm long which is a bit awkward to carry.

I don't understand. Petrol tools are usually lighter and smaller than
battery powered and the latter never have enough charge to do the job.
At least with petrol you can get the job done in one go if you can
persuade the engine to actually start. My strimmer is a real PITA for that.

I see there are 'cordless secateurs'. Are these any good? Can they cope
with this kind of thickness?
I spied some Stihl ones that could do up to 45mm, a snip (ahem) at 1,200
pounds (without battery).

My instinct would be for a good pair of classic manual long handled
bypass loppers. All battery powered tools I have ever encountered have
run out far too soon to be useful on any decent sized job.

Or is it better to invest in a really good pair of manual secateurs - and
how would I find such a thing?

Bypass loppers should find you the right tool.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:
As others have said, what's the area, roughly, and why isn't petrol
power an option?

It's an issue with transport to site - isn't a good idea to take petrol on
public transport. Area is about 20 x 30m, fairly thick (ie you can't walk
inside).

Battery systems are fine for maintenance of small
gardens, but haven't got the power or endurance for larger jobs. If
you really can't use petrol, then I think the only realistic approach
is clearing by hand. A pair of extendable or long-handled ratchet
loppers (I prefer anvil types rather than bypass, but it's a personal
thing). The ratchet action allows greater cutting force to be applied,
and with the leverage of the long handles, mine will happily cut
through 3 cm branches. Plenty available he
http://tinyurl.com/zvt5esq

Thanks. I think that's the right conclusion - also easier to carry.
Any particular recommendations?

A pruning saw for the thicker stuff. After cutting everything down,
you've got the stumps to deal with, or they will just re-sprout. A
grub-axe is the weapon of choice IMO (mattock blade on one side, axe
blade on the other: http://tinyurl.com/gp68dsn ).

I'm not bothered by having the stumps in place, but would rather not have to
do the same again next year. Is it feasible to treat the stumps with
something to prevent regrowth?

Theo
Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2017 11:41, Theo wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
As others have said, what's the area, roughly, and why isn't petrol
power an option?

A pruning saw for the thicker stuff. After cutting everything down,
you've got the stumps to deal with, or they will just re-sprout. A
grub-axe is the weapon of choice IMO (mattock blade on one side, axe
blade on the other: http://tinyurl.com/gp68dsn ).

I'm not bothered by having the stumps in place, but would rather not have to
do the same again next year. Is it feasible to treat the stumps with
something to prevent regrowth?

Nothing that will really work well enough now against small trees.

You could drill them and add RootOut to the hole. It damages the roots
anti fungal defences (no longer a licensed use). eg.

http://www.garden-products.info/rootout.htm

Or spray glyphosate in late spring and early autumn to kill the
inevitable soft regrowth. (you will likely need to do this for several
years to get control - a lot of stored energy in tree roots)

I still prefer to grub them up where possible roots and all.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 03-02-2017, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2017 12:11, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 03 Feb 2017 11:41:26 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

Not really. The very first pair I bought broke within minutes of my
starting to use them; the head was a cheap cast alloy with no
strength. The replacements were unbranded, but are still going strong
after 16 years of abuse. Wickes do a pair, but they're suspiciously
cheap at £14.99 http://tinyurl.com/gpcuq82 , while the more-expensive
Spear and Jackson ones at £34.99 have aluminium handles
http://tinyurl.com/zfq4sxs . Mine have oval-section steel handles, but
even they bend slightly as I apply a bit of welly on thicker branches,
but spring back again. If the S&J ones are simply aluminium and not an
aluminium alloy, they might bend and not spring back.

Some big beasts on e-bay http://tinyurl.com/h5vrbws

A pruning saw for the thicker stuff. After cutting everything down,
you've got the stumps to deal with, or they will just re-sprout. A
grub-axe is the weapon of choice IMO (mattock blade on one side, axe
blade on the other: http://tinyurl.com/gp68dsn ).

I'm not bothered by having the stumps in place, but would rather not have to
do the same again next year. Is it feasible to treat the stumps with
something to prevent regrowth?

Theo

Ammonium sulphamate* is the stuff. Prohibited for use as a herbicide
by the glorious EU, but still allowed as a compost accelerator, so
still available. I refer to it as 'in-situ composting' so have a clean
conscience! Plenty on e-bay http://tinyurl.com/hp627l9

*not to be confused with ammonium sulphate, which is a nitrogenous
fertiliser and will make your stumps grow away like crazy!!

+1
Should be applied to a freshly cut surface and covered with a plastic
bag or similar th prevent crystals being washed off.

Malcolm
Old 04-02-2017, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

My instinct would be for a good pair of classic manual long handled
bypass loppers.

I agree.

I recommend Felco brand. Any large shed or garden centre should sell
them. While you're there, buy some stump killer.

You want to cut the stems level right at ground level; walking on
narrow spiky stumps one or two inches high will be uncomfortable and a
trip hazard.

Then when you've cut them all down, follow the instructions on the
packet and paint the cut surface of the stumps with the stump killer,
(an old paintbrush will do the job) to kill the roots and prevent them
sprouting again.

The other suggestions by the OP are all poor in my experience. The
loppers are a safe and economical choice, will do a good job and then be
a useful garden tool afterwards.

Janet.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/02/17 16:54, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

My instinct would be for a good pair of classic manual long handled
bypass loppers.

I agree.

I recommend Felco brand. Any large shed or garden centre should sell
them. While you're there, buy some stump killer.

You want to cut the stems level right at ground level; walking on
narrow spiky stumps one or two inches high will be uncomfortable and a
trip hazard.

Then when you've cut them all down, follow the instructions on the
packet and paint the cut surface of the stumps with the stump killer,
(an old paintbrush will do the job) to kill the roots and prevent them
sprouting again.

The other suggestions by the OP are all poor in my experience. The
loppers are a safe and economical choice, will do a good job and then be
a useful garden tool afterwards.

I agree with you for a small area, but the OP's follow-up said "Area is
about 20 x 30m, fairly thick (ie you can't walk inside)."

So we have around 600 square metres of thick scrubby trees! I reckon
there are several shrubs/trees needed per sq m to meet that description.
Even if only three, that means around 2000 to be cut down and treated.
In his OP, he said that "...time is limited...". I really can't see this
being done by hand unless he has lots of help.

--

Jeff

Brush Clearing T. McQuinn Lawns 3 08-09-2008 09:29 PM
Woodman's Pal for clearing brush Doe John Lawns 1 19-04-2005 12:53 PM
Overseeding. Clearing brush and uprooting sapling trees and woody weeds Doe John Gardening 1 19-04-2004 07:03 PM
Clearing brush Ken_B Gardening 13 02-04-2003 08:56 PM
MTD snowblower not clearing to asphalt Tim Lawns 1 24-02-2003 09:07 AM