Toadstools

Old 11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Janice

Default Toadstools

I have lots of toadstools in my garden - in the grass and in the borders
growing on old tree stumps. Can they be left alone or do I need to dig them
ouut, or use a fungicide, or what?

Thanks

Old 11-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Rod

"Janice" wrote in message ...
I have lots of toadstools in my garden - in the grass and in the borders
growing on old tree stumps. Can they be left alone or do I need to dig them
ouut, or use a fungicide, or what?

Depends what they are. Leave 'em alone or eat them. Just be *sure* you know.

Rod

Old 11-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Arthur

"Janice" wrote in message
I have lots of toadstools in my garden - in the grass and in the borders
growing on old tree stumps. Can they be left alone or do I need to dig

them
ouut, or use a fungicide, or what?

Thanks

They are a normal, harmless part of the natural breakdown of the wood. You
don't need to do anything. Fungicide is harmful, and pointless because the
toadstools will always come back while the stumps are still there. If you
really don't want them then you'll have to dig up the stumps. Far better to
leave them alone unless you need the space where the stumps are.
Don't try to eat them - unless you have expert, trustworthy advice.

- Arthur

Old 11-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Sad Sid

"Janice" wrote in message
I have lots of toadstools in my garden - in the grass and in the borders
growing on old tree stumps. Can they be left alone

Yes! Just check what you've got growing on the stumps - slight chance of
transfer to mature trees.
In the lawn they indicate that dead wood beneath the soil is being dealt
with efficiently.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Janice" contains these words:

I have lots of toadstools in my garden - in the grass and in the borders
growing on old tree stumps. Can they be left alone or do I need to dig them
ouut, or use a fungicide, or what?

Leave them. Most fungi are beneficial or neutral in their effect. Very
few are killers, and of those that have the name for it, the jury's
still out.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Janice" contains these words:

I have lots of toadstools in my garden - in the grass and in the borders
growing on old tree stumps. Can they be left alone or do I need to dig

them
ouut, or use a fungicide, or what?

Leave them. Most fungi are beneficial or neutral in their effect. Very
few are killers, and of those that have the name for it, the jury's
still out.

I bet the ratio poisonous/edible green plants is far worse than the same
ratio for macroscopic fungi.
The trouble lies entirely with the ignorance of almost everybody, and the
fact that all mushrooms have more or less the same morphology

Franz