Betulia propagation

Old 27-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Emrys Davies

Default Betulia propagation

Has anyone had any success in the propagation of a Betulia. If so,
would you kindly share your method.

Incidentally, I know where and how they are grown and that any seeds
from them would be sterile.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 27-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Brian

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
Has anyone had any success in the propagation of a Betulia. If so,
would you kindly share your method.

Incidentally, I know where and how they are grown and that any seeds
from them would be sterile.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Emrys,

Do you mean Betulia~ Begonia x hiemalis var. Betulia, or Betula~ Birch?.
Begonias were mentioned a few days ago with a Google guide to culture and
propagation.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 27-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Emrys Davies

'Brian',

I mean the Betulia begonia type plants which are currently being sold by
Sainsbury's and HomeBase. They are grown under licence in Holland and
propagated from rooted cuttings (no tuber). In the trade they are
regarded as 'Throw Away' plants. They are probably subject to Breeder's
Rights, although the label does not mention that.

They are recommended for indoor and patio and will not tolerate frost.
They are super hybrids, the seeds of which will be fertile.

My friend has one and wishes to try his hand at propagating one or two
cuttings from it. I have advised him to try a stem cutting.

I am wondering whether anyone has had any success with such a venture in
respect of this particular plant.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 27-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Brian

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
'Brian',

I mean the Betulia begonia type plants which are currently being sold by
Sainsbury's and HomeBase. They are grown under licence in Holland and
propagated from rooted cuttings (no tuber). In the trade they are
regarded as 'Throw Away' plants. They are probably subject to Breeder's
Rights, although the label does not mention that.

They are recommended for indoor and patio and will not tolerate frost.
They are super hybrids, the seeds of which will be fertile.

My friend has one and wishes to try his hand at propagating one or two
cuttings from it. I have advised him to try a stem cutting.

I am wondering whether anyone has had any success with such a venture in
respect of this particular plant.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Many thanks. I answered too quickly without reading all of your posting.
The PBR are owned by a Dutch nursery as you state.

I have not attempted propagation myself but the usual stem cuttings taken
May to August at 20 C. should succeed.
Brian.

Old 28-05-2004, 01:17 AM
Emrys Davies