Old 30-01-2003, 10:14 PM

Default Macadamia home propagation

Hi,
I'm lving in Vienna/Austria (you know the country without canguroos!) and
I'm having problems with my home grown macadmias.
There are nearly no german resources about propagation and care of macadamia
plants.
We have no garden so the plant have to grow indoor, neverthless it would be
to cold in Austria
At least 2 of 3 nuts where successful.
But (especially the older) looks ver weak and limp. I thought that I watered
it too much and dried it out.
But there wasn't any improvment. Currently it looks all the same regardless
if I watering it ot not.
The other just come out 3 month later, it's still quit small but it seems
that it began like the other. Already stopped to grow.

Can someone help me

thanks
Peter

Old 01-02-2003, 12:54 PM
King Pineapple

wrote in message
Hi,
I'm lving in Vienna/Austria (you know the country without canguroos!) and
I'm having problems with my home grown macadmias.

Try soc.culture.hawaii newsgroup

Craig

Old 03-02-2003, 12:34 AM
John Savage

writes:
I'm lving in Vienna/Austria (you know the country without canguroos!) and
I'm having problems with my home grown macadmias.
We have no garden so the plant have to grow indoor, neverthless it would be
to cold in Austria

Hmmm. As an indoors plant, they may fail to thrive.

Macadamias are a temperate or semi-tropical rainforest tree from Australia.
So I think that means they are going to need warm summers, and bright
sunlight all year. Unless you can simulate those conditions, they are not
likely to grow very well.

But (especially the older) looks ver weak and limp. I thought that I watered
it too much and dried it out.

If they are indoors, how are they getting sunlight during your winter?

The other just come out 3 month later, it's still quit small but it seems
that it began like the other. Already stopped to grow.

They probably show an initial growth spurt while they use up the nutrients
in the nut kernel, but then their growth peters out when they are unable to
synthesize more due to lack of sunlight.

Can someone help me

Can you provide them with growth lamps during your long winters?

If you have further questions, perhaps post to aus.gardens which is the
Australian gardening group. Recently some were complaining that macademias
are a bit of a nuisance because of all the young plants that spring up
under the tree unless the fallen nuts are raked up! I have a seedling
that has sprung up from a nut. The seedling is about 10" high, and has
5 pairs of leaves. It is growing in bright sun (gets about 3 hours of
direct sunlight per day). We don't get winter frosts in my suburb.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")