Returfing a lawn

Old 12-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Lee BARRASS

Default Returfing a lawn

I need to returf my lawn. It's around 6m x 6m .

I have had two quotes so for

Quote 1 - to cut off the top layer and replace with new turf - 300

Quote 2 - - to rotovate, add a tonne of top soil and lay new turf - 180.

Now to me, the second one seems much better! Any thoughts please?

Lee.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:40 AM
pied piper

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
I need to returf my lawn. It's around 6m x 6m .

I have had two quotes so for

Quote 1 - to cut off the top layer and replace with new turf - 300

Quote 2 - - to rotovate, add a tonne of top soil and lay new turf - 180.

Now to me, the second one seems much better! Any thoughts please?

Lee.

why do either cant u just renovate your existing lawn a top dresing some
reseeding aeration scarifying some feed etc

Old 13-03-2005, 06:26 PM
Lee BARRASS

"pied piper" wrote in message

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
I need to returf my lawn. It's around 6m x 6m .

I have had two quotes so for

Quote 1 - to cut off the top layer and replace with new turf - 300

Quote 2 - - to rotovate, add a tonne of top soil and lay new turf -

180.

Now to me, the second one seems much better! Any thoughts please?

Lee.

why do either cant u just renovate your existing lawn a top dresing some
reseeding aeration scarifying some feed etc

Beause it's unven, in a general mess and around a third of it has very
compacted soil which needs a bit more than just aeration!

Old 13-03-2005, 06:41 PM
pied piper

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
k...

"pied piper" wrote in message

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
I need to returf my lawn. It's around 6m x 6m .

I have had two quotes so for

Quote 1 - to cut off the top layer and replace with new turf - 300

Quote 2 - - to rotovate, add a tonne of top soil and lay new turf -

180.

Now to me, the second one seems much better! Any thoughts please?

Lee.

why do either cant u just renovate your existing lawn a top dresing some
reseeding aeration scarifying some feed etc

Beause it's unven, in a general mess and around a third of it has very
compacted soil which needs a bit more than just aeration!

aeration relieves compaction the top dressing will even the lawn explain
what you mean by needs more than aeration?

Old 13-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Rod

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:29:18 GMT, "Lee BARRASS"
wrote:

I need to returf my lawn. It's around 6m x 6m .

I have had two quotes so for

Quote 1 - to cut off the top layer and replace with new turf - 300

Quote 2 - - to rotovate, add a tonne of top soil and lay new turf - 180.

Now to me, the second one seems much better! Any thoughts please?

1 tonne on 6m x 6m = 10-15mm deep. Not a lot is it?
Is there a drainage problem - if so rotavating alone won't fix it.
It's a tiny area so I'd dig as deep as needed to get the drainage
right. Do more work if needed on drainage.
Look at the soil after that and decide if you need to do anything with
it like adding grit/sand or more topsoil. Buy some good quality grass
seed. Spend what you've saved on some nice plants.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 13-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Jack Harrison

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
I need to returf my lawn. It's around 6m x 6m .

Need? You show me the perfect lawn.

I could argue that I "need" to returf my own lawn. In practice, what I
"need" to do is look after my lawn.
Isn't that what you really are trying to do? Fertilize, top dress, etc,
etc.

Jack

Old 13-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Mike Lyle

"pied piper" wrote in message

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
I need to returf my lawn. It's around 6m x 6m .

I have had two quotes so for

Quote 1 - to cut off the top layer and replace with new turf -

300

Quote 2 - - to rotovate, add a tonne of top soil and lay new

turf
- 180.

Now to me, the second one seems much better! Any thoughts

please?

Lee.

why do either cant u just renovate your existing lawn a top

dresing
some reseeding aeration scarifying some feed etc

Beause it's unven, in a general mess and around a third of it has
very compacted soil which needs a bit more than just aeration!

aeration relieves compaction the top dressing will even the lawn
explain what you mean by needs more than aeration?

Quote 1: I wouldn't cut off the top layer. It's the best bit:
remember that bought-in turf won't have any significant amount of
soil attached, so you need a nice bed for it to root into. This quote
is bad.

Quote 2: A tonne of topsoil will be about one and a quarter cubic
metres. Spread this over 6x6m and you'll get just about enough to
level the lawn if it didn't need much levelling in the first place!
With the rotavator, you won't need any topsoil. If your soil is
pretty dry at the time and isn't a heavy clay, just the rotavator is
enough once you've raked it all out nice and fine. Chuck on some
seed, and the job's done. If it _is_ clay, your work is just begun,
though: so in that case I wouldn't rotavate at all.

Given the rotavator's famous ability to multiply perennial weeds, it
sounds like a bargepole job from here.

If grass is growing on the compacted area, I'd simply aerate a bit,
mow regularly and let nature do the work. Otherwise, sow seed. Treat
the bumps if they're really bad: use them to fill the hollows, of
course, which will make the lawn patchy for a few weeks, but it'll
soon sort itself out.

Mike.

Old 17-03-2005, 11:31 PM
RDD

In message , Rod
writes

=============================================== ==

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Having done all that preparation, why not finish it off with a new
design. Look at www.mohon.org
RDD
Old 22-03-2005, 12:06 PM
John

In article ,
"Lee BARRASS" wrote:

I need to returf my lawn. ...

(... and several useful answers ...)

just as an aside -- I recently bought a "lawn in a bucket" at B&Q which
comes from the PBI people (good products if you ask me)
http://www.pbi.co.uk/phostrogen/products.php?pID=177
no pics there, so see http://www.gardenforum-microsites.co.uk/?cid=4164

Covers 40sqm and has "everything in" - very convenient. I haven't used
it yet though, because it's been too wet and cold.

John