Old 05-04-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default capillary matting

On 03/04/2014 10:03, Pete C wrote:
On 02/04/2014 22:38, Spider wrote:
On 02/04/2014 17:36, Pete C wrote:
On 02/04/2014 15:37, Spider wrote:
On 02/04/2014 13:19, Derek wrote:
On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 07:21:23 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

I am assuming you are adding the capillary matting, above a plastic
sheet. Never tried it, and would think it would dry out very
quickly,
but worth an experiment, nothing ventured etc :-)

It works better it you drape excess length over the end of the bench
into a water tank. The capillary matting wicks up water from the tank,
which keeps it moist. You just have to keep the tank topped up with
water.

The link below shows it working on a very small domestic scale, but you
could easily expand it to suit your greenhouse bench.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/stor...illary-matting

Spider, you use Johns web site and forums? I have a couple of his
books.....good read.

Actually, no, it just seemed a useful illustrative link and a generally
good site. Because you imply that you recommend his books, I looked for
his full name on that page and didn't see it, but I did look really
quickly. Would you be so kind as to post his full name, please? It
will be a day or so before I can urgle again (grrr .. got to be
sociable), but I would really appreciate it even if I don't reply
straight away.

Thanks in anticipation.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

His name is John Harrison. If you go to.....
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/ and click on 'allotment garden', top
left, you find out a little about him. His wife also has written books
on preserves and other stuff. I find the forum very useful at times.

Thanks ever so, Pete! I've bookmarked that for a good browse later.
Looks really interesting. I've got a garden full of Sycamore seedlings
to deal with, then some seed potatoes to plant. Way behind with that, so
relaxing with a read comes much later.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London