Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default capillary matting

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

Worthwhile?

Any comments - experiences please?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 07:21:23 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

I am assuming you are adding the capillary matting, above a plastic
sheet. Never tried it, and would think it would dry out very quickly,
but worth an experiment, nothing ventured etc :-)
Old 02-04-2014, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

I am assuming you are adding the capillary matting, above a plastic
sheet. Never tried it, and would think it would dry out very quickly,
but worth an experiment, nothing ventured etc :-)

It works better it you drape excess length over the end of the bench
into a water tank. The capillary matting wicks up water from the tank,
which keeps it moist. You just have to keep the tank topped up with water.

The link below shows it working on a very small domestic scale, but you
could easily expand it to suit your greenhouse bench.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/stor...illary-matting

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

I am assuming you are adding the capillary matting, above a plastic
sheet. Never tried it, and would think it would dry out very quickly,
but worth an experiment, nothing ventured etc :-)

It works better it you drape excess length over the end of the bench
into a water tank. The capillary matting wicks up water from the tank,
which keeps it moist. You just have to keep the tank topped up with water.

The link below shows it working on a very small domestic scale, but you
could easily expand it to suit your greenhouse bench.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/stor...illary-matting

Spider, you use Johns web site and forums? I have a couple of his
books.....good read.

--
Pete C
adventure before dementure
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote in message

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

Worthwhile?

Any comments - experiences please?

Yes, we use it everywhere on the nursery, but to be effective you need a
layer of polythene under and another layer of micro perforated polythene
over, the former aids water distribution the latter helps prevent root
penetration.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

I am assuming you are adding the capillary matting, above a plastic
sheet. Never tried it, and would think it would dry out very
quickly,
but worth an experiment, nothing ventured etc :-)

It works better it you drape excess length over the end of the bench
into a water tank. The capillary matting wicks up water from the tank,
which keeps it moist. You just have to keep the tank topped up with
water.

The link below shows it working on a very small domestic scale, but you
could easily expand it to suit your greenhouse bench.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/stor...illary-matting

Spider, you use Johns web site and forums? I have a couple of his
books.....good read.

Actually, no, it just seemed a useful illustrative link and a generally
good site. Because you imply that you recommend his books, I looked for
his full name on that page and didn't see it, but I did look really
quickly. Would you be so kind as to post his full name, please? It
will be a day or so before I can urgle again (grrr .. got to be
sociable), but I would really appreciate it even if I don't reply
straight away.

Thanks in anticipation.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 22:37:35 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

micro perforated polythene

seems a bit difficult to buy in small amounts , this is the best I
could find

http://www.simplycontrol.co.uk/shop/...1mtr_wide.aspx

Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

His name is John Harrison. If you go to.....
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/ and click on 'allotment garden', top
left, you find out a little about him. His wife also has written books
on preserves and other stuff. I find the forum very useful at times.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

micro perforated polythene

seems a bit difficult to buy in small amounts , this is the best I
could find

http://www.simplycontrol.co.uk/shop/...1mtr_wide.aspx

You need to change it every year as it degrades and damages so most
nurseries will have 100 M rolls and I am sure if you asked nicely they could
let you have a few feet if that's all you need!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

Worthwhile?

Any comments - experiences please?

Excellent responses: many thanks to all - I will give it a go.

Judith

Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

Worthwhile?

Any comments - experiences please?

Excellent responses: many thanks to all - I will give it a go.

Judith

I just wonder why?
Normally a heated sand bed is used chiefly as as propagation bed and as
such doesn't have trays etc on it for any great time.
For capillary matting you could try http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/
Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 10:02:08 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

I just wonder why?
Normally a heated sand bed is used chiefly as as propagation bed and as
such doesn't have trays etc on it for any great time.

I run a three heated sand beds, throughout the winter, raising fuchsia
cuttings, as they root, they are moved off the bed, to make room for
the next lot. The beds create enough heat to keep the greenhouse frost
free, (its well insulated)

For capillary matting you could try http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/

BIG roll :-)

for too much for one small greenhouse, must be a DIY project in the
making, Geoff Hamilton or Bob Flowerdew, would be cutting up some type
of throwaway household item to substitute.

..

-
-
-
Lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

(Any Olympic GameMakers here?)
Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am thinking about using it in green house on heated sand bed.

I just wonder why?
Normally a heated sand bed is used chiefly as as propagation bed and as
such doesn't have trays etc on it for any great time.

I run a three heated sand beds, throughout the winter, raising fuchsia
cuttings, as they root, they are moved off the bed, to make room for
the next lot. The beds create enough heat to keep the greenhouse frost
free, (its well insulated)

For capillary matting you could try http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/

BIG roll :-)

for too much for one small greenhouse, must be a DIY project in the
making, Geoff Hamilton or Bob Flowerdew, would be cutting up some type
of throwaway household item to substitute.

Did you bother to read it?
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...atting-PRDCML/

Lantor Indoor Capillary Mat - 60cm (24") wide per metre
Lantor Indoor Capillary Mat - 91cm (36") wide per metre
Lantor Indoor Capillary Mat - 122cm (48") wide per metre
Lantor Indoor Capillary Mat - 183cm (72") wide per metre

Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

For capillary matting you could try http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/

BIG roll :-)

Did you bother to read it?
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...atting-PRDCML/

Lantor Indoor Capillary Mat - 60cm (24") wide per metre

No, missed that :-) but in my defence the thread was all about
covering the capillary matting with Micro Perforated Polythene to
prevent the matting drying out , the link
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...ene-PRDR-12PB/
seemed more relevant

Old 05-04-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks ever so, Pete! I've bookmarked that for a good browse later.
Looks really interesting. I've got a garden full of Sycamore seedlings
to deal with, then some seed potatoes to plant. Way behind with that, so
relaxing with a read comes much later.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London