Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mending split rose stem?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 19:43:16 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 05/04/2014 19:03, Spider wrote:

Yes, I've done something very similar and it does work. However, it
won't work if the rose stem is still bent or twisted so that the
injured area of stem is still agape. The two layers of stem must be
bound snugly together, as for a graft, so that they heal together.

You might find insulating tape easier to use as it will give a nice snug
fit to the stem.

Insulating tape is great stuff for mending stems. You might think the
plant would resent having it pulled off, but it seems to come clean off
most stems. I've used it for roses and maples too.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy