Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mending split rose stem?

I was putting in new eye hooks
and pulling the top of the rose
around the corner of the house
when the stem split lower down.

I've tied it up with string.
But insects could get in the split and kill it.

Shall I coat it with tar or PVA or woodglue
of foamy glue to stop bugs getting in
or leave it alone and hope
the sap will repair it from inside?

[george]
..
Old 05-04-2014, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 12:22:29 +0100, george - dicegeorge
wrote:

I was putting in new eye hooks
and pulling the top of the rose
around the corner of the house
when the stem split lower down.

I've tied it up with string.
But insects could get in the split and kill it.

Shall I coat it with tar or PVA or woodglue
of foamy glue to stop bugs getting in
or leave it alone and hope
the sap will repair it from inside?

[george]
.

The last time I mended a split stem I used brown parcel tape. When I
moved house years later it was still stuck on and the stem had grown.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 05-04-2014, 03:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by george - dicegeorge View Post
I was putting in new eye hooks
and pulling the top of the rose
around the corner of the house
when the stem split lower down.

I've tied it up with string.
But insects could get in the split and kill it.

Shall I coat it with tar or PVA or woodglue
of foamy glue to stop bugs getting in
or leave it alone and hope
the sap will repair it from inside?

[george]
..
Leave it alone. You're more likely to seal in disease. When you say "tied it up with string" I presume you mean you've "whipped" it, so that there's absolutely no possibility of the split moving within the string?
__________________
Old 05-04-2014, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I was putting in new eye hooks
and pulling the top of the rose
around the corner of the house
when the stem split lower down.

I've tied it up with string.
But insects could get in the split and kill it.

Shall I coat it with tar or PVA or woodglue
of foamy glue to stop bugs getting in
or leave it alone and hope
the sap will repair it from inside?

[george]
.

The last time I mended a split stem I used brown parcel tape. When I
moved house years later it was still stuck on and the stem had grown.

Steve

Yes, I've done something very similar and it does work. However, it
won't work if the rose stem is still bent or twisted so that the injured
area of stem is still agape. The two layers of stem must be bound
snugly together, as for a graft, so that they heal together.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-04-2014, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

You might find insulating tape easier to use as it will give a nice snug
fit to the stem.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I've just been out by torch light and applied 3 woodwork clamps, will
try to tie it tighter tomorrow.

Watering and feeding it might help - shall i buy special rose feed?

[g]

Old 05-04-2014, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

What you haven't said and no one has asked is
How thick is the stem?
Must be quite large if you can clamp it.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I was putting in new eye hooks
and pulling the top of the rose
around the corner of the house
when the stem split lower down.

I've tied it up with string.
But insects could get in the split and kill it.

Shall I coat it with tar or PVA or woodglue
of foamy glue to stop bugs getting in
or leave it alone and hope
the sap will repair it from inside?

[george]
.

The last time I mended a split stem I used brown parcel tape. When I
moved house years later it was still stuck on and the stem had grown.

Steve

I used cable ties, fencing wire and a 100mm brass screw to fix a branch that
split on the trunk of a Magnolia tree some 10 years ago. The split is now
repaired and cable ties, wire and screw are now covered over with bark - and
the Magnolia is flowering magnificantly this year.

Question, how do you stop grandchildren from climbing the tree - without the
use of barbed wire, electrified fence or nailing their feet to the patio
blocks etc? ;-)

Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Why stop them?
Didn't you climb trees when you were their age?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid says...

Question, how do you stop grandchildren from climbing the tree - without the
use of barbed wire, electrified fence or nailing their feet to the patio
blocks etc? ;-)

The word "no" still works perfectly IME. For some children the novelty
value alone makes it highly effective :-)

Janet

Old 06-04-2014, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The entire rose might be glad of a feed now but, on the other hand, I
wouldn't want to feed a sick rose. Wait until you've bound the stem
tightly with tape, then maybe give it a weak general feed to promote
growth in the rose overall, but not so much that it stresses the wounded
stem. Afterall, you wouldn't want a huge feast if you were feeling
unwell. When the rose starts to make flower buds, give it a high potash
feed (rose fertiliser, tomato food) then, but don't be over-generous.
Do water it well (once bound), especially since it's planted close to
the house, where such borders are generally dry.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 19:43:16 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 05/04/2014 19:03, Spider wrote:

Yes, I've done something very similar and it does work. However, it
won't work if the rose stem is still bent or twisted so that the
injured area of stem is still agape. The two layers of stem must be
bound snugly together, as for a graft, so that they heal together.

You might find insulating tape easier to use as it will give a nice snug
fit to the stem.

Insulating tape is great stuff for mending stems. You might think the
plant would resent having it pulled off, but it seems to come clean off
most stems. I've used it for roses and maples too.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I did, quite often especially when I was after conkers - and I had the
broken arm and bent wrist as souvenirs!

Now the real reason: the fact that the 5, 4 and 2 year old brothers all want
to climb it - and they are a little young to do that.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I've put barbed wire in the new young branch in the apple tree which in
five years time i want to leave as the main branch and chop off the
existing sloping branches.

There are other trees for the kids to climb.

'Nudge'

[g]