Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Let it be Let it be is offline

Default Mending split rose stem?

David Hill wrote:
On 05/04/2014 23:14, Let It Be wrote:
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 12:22:29 +0100, george - dicegeorge
wrote:

I was putting in new eye hooks
and pulling the top of the rose
around the corner of the house
when the stem split lower down.

I've tied it up with string.
But insects could get in the split and kill it.

Shall I coat it with tar or PVA or woodglue
of foamy glue to stop bugs getting in
or leave it alone and hope
the sap will repair it from inside?

[george]
.

The last time I mended a split stem I used brown parcel tape. When I
moved house years later it was still stuck on and the stem had
grown. Steve

I used cable ties, fencing wire and a 100mm brass screw to fix a
branch that split on the trunk of a Magnolia tree some 10 years
ago. The split is now repaired and cable ties, wire and screw are
now covered over with bark - and the Magnolia is flowering
magnificantly this year. Question, how do you stop grandchildren from
climbing the tree -
without the use of barbed wire, electrified fence or nailing their
feet to the patio blocks etc? ;-)

Why stop them?
Didn't you climb trees when you were their age?

I did, quite often especially when I was after conkers - and I had the
broken arm and bent wrist as souvenirs!

Now the real reason: the fact that the 5, 4 and 2 year old brothers all want
to climb it - and they are a little young to do that.