Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Agave Weberi

Higgs Boson said:

Closest I could get to the two big agaves in my garden. I want to add
more to that area. A friend
said I could have some from her too-closely packed bunch. But it seems
hard/impossible to dig them
out individually, they're so entwined.

Can you get the picture? If not, I'll take one and post.

Question: If I cut them off at the stem and replant, will they grow new
roots? If the answer is "No" I won't bother.

If you can cut/pull/twist out any offsets ("pups") you should be able to
root them. Let the cut ends dry before gently settting them into a pot
filled with a well-draining potting mix. Keep the rooting mix *barely*
damp and keep the plants you are rooting out of direct sun and wind.

Leave them in the pots until they begin to show strong growth--don't
rush to get them in the ground.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."