Old 07-04-2014, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Agave Weberi

http://westerncactus.com/images/larg...WEBERI%20L.JPG

This is from Western Cactus.com

Closest I could get to the two big agaves in my garden. I want to add more to that area. A friend said I could have some from her too-closely packed bunch. But it seems hard/impossible to dig them out individually, they're so entwined.

Can you get the picture? If not, I'll take one and post.

Question: If I cut them off at the stem and replant, will they grow new roots?
If the answer is "No" I won't bother.

TIA

HB
Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

Closest I could get to the two big agaves in my garden. I want to add
more to that area. A friend
said I could have some from her too-closely packed bunch. But it seems
hard/impossible to dig them
out individually, they're so entwined.

Can you get the picture? If not, I'll take one and post.

Question: If I cut them off at the stem and replant, will they grow new
roots? If the answer is "No" I won't bother.

If you can cut/pull/twist out any offsets ("pups") you should be able to
root them. Let the cut ends dry before gently settting them into a pot
filled with a well-draining potting mix. Keep the rooting mix *barely*
damp and keep the plants you are rooting out of direct sun and wind.

Leave them in the pots until they begin to show strong growth--don't
rush to get them in the ground.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:33:38 AM UTC-7, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:

Closest I could get to the two big agaves in my garden. I want to add

more to that area. A friend

said I could have some from her too-closely packed bunch. But it seems

hard/impossible to dig them

out individually, they're so entwined.

Can you get the picture? If not, I'll take one and post.

Question: If I cut them off at the stem and replant, will they grow new

roots? If the answer is "No" I won't bother.

If you can cut/pull/twist out any offsets ("pups") you should be able to

root them. Let the cut ends dry before gently settting them into a pot

filled with a well-draining potting mix. Keep the rooting mix *barely*

damp and keep the plants you are rooting out of direct sun and wind.

Leave them in the pots until they begin to show strong growth--don't

rush to get them in the ground.

Fabulous! Will get right on it.

Tx

HB

[IMG] code is On

Agave advice ?? Novaa Australia 0 25-10-2003 04:02 AM
Agave parryi v. truncata edmund Ponds (alternative) 0 17-07-2003 07:02 PM
Agave pups? Whit Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
help on Agave ÑödD¥ Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Agave in UK Winter [email protected] United Kingdom 0 09-12-2002 04:26 AM