Old 17-04-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default So easily over looked

On 17/04/2014 12:20, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:13:14 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 16/04/2014 23:12, Emery Davis wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:38:58 +0100, Spider wrote:

wanton deforestation, as I've pulled up hundreds of Sycamore seedlings.
If I didn't, there would soon be nothing else in my garden.

I know what you mean! It's quite a year for sycamore germination. I've
offed thousands, either mowed or pulled up. I do try and check for
variegations, but sometimes wholesale slaughter is the best option!

Yes, I started looking for variegations or special leaf formations, but
have found it's easier to pull them up before the true leaves appear, if
I can. It means I waste a lot of time early in the season when I would
rather be doing something else. Frustrating, but it has to be done.
It's nice to know I'm not doing it alone.

I put one in a flower pot which I put in the garden in 1985. I suspect the pot
has finally broken, as the sycamore has reached about 6' high in the last couple
of years.

I suspect it's done neither the pot nor the tree much good, but at least
the tree is still alive.

I've got a horse chestnut in a pot, plus three birches and a rowan, all
of which I intend to plant at some point. The horse chestnut has had a
bit of, er, surgery, because I don't want it too big. I'm hoping to
grow it coppiced in the manner of a Pawlonia in order to gain large
leaves. I would love it to flower, but I think I've written that off by
lopping it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London